Chapter 26 - Paying The Price

Raffaele

I'm trying to understand what's going on with my brother. He curses under his breath but accepts the consequences, raising a few questions. He rubs his eyes and avoids eye contact. He knows I see straight through him. He has many whores at his disposal. One call and he can have three, waiting at his penthouse. Yet he keeps pursuing the one girl. Memories of my infatuation with Asimina from the beginning come to mind. After our kiss on the gym floor, Asimina had me starving for more.

"Forget the rules. Forget my position. Talk to me as your brother. Nothing more, nothing less." I give him the go-ahead to speak to me openly. I lean against the wall, and he defeatedly slams the toilet seat down slumping onto it.

"I don't fucking get it," he lets out a frustrated growl. "I fuck a lot!" He pulls his phone out and tosses it to the side. "My phone contacts are full of bitches, who would kneel in front of me within the hour." He laughs and runs his hands through his hair frustratedly. "Unlike the rest of the women I encounter that beg me to stay, she can't get rid of me fast enough."

"So, a conquest, is that what she is?" I challenge. "Or do you have feelings for her, Tommy?"

He keeps his head facing forward, side glancing at me he retorts, "She isn't experienced, yet the sex is hot. Maybe she is a conquest. I've slept with her. Maybe I need to hear her say she wants me."

"At Nat and Antonio's wedding, was it the only time?" I keep my anger at bay, wanting him to continue talking.

Shaking his head no, he confesses, "She's called me a few times. We fuck and straight after she demands I leave." Sighing, he pinches the bridge of his nose. "It only happens when she wants! She rejects me when I ask for it. I was confident she was about to give into me."

Standing to his feet, he plays with his phone as our father walks in. Tommy keeps his head lowered. Our father is still very much the head of our family. He has always been a tough man. There was never a need to raise his hand on any of us. His glare and soaring voice were enough to keep us in line as children, and my brother as an adult.

"Tommaso," my father clasps the shoulder of his youngest son, applying enough pressure to make Tommy meet his eyes. "I have overlooked your behavior in the past because the women you surrounded yourself with were nothing but whores. A quick fuck, a good release."

He lowers his head maintaining eye contact with Tommy while tightening his hold, causing my brother to flinch. "Every man needs it, and before your mother, I was no different. That girl is not a whore. Go near her again, Tommy, without the intent of a relationship, and you will find yourself in front of a priest making her your wife, while I hold a gun to your head. Do I make myself clear, boy?" Tommy nods and darts his eyes to me.

"You just got your woman back, Raffaele, and it's a birthday and engagement party in there," he states, releasing Tommy from his hold. "When the night's done, I want Tommaso in the cells. Organize a driver to wait around for Laz and Nick."

Pushing Tommy out the door, he orders, "Go in there. Celebrate your soon to be sister-in-law's birthday and their engagement. Make sure you have a smile on your face. Asimina deserves nothing less." Tommy complies and heads for the formal living room, eager to get away from our father.

"Go stand next to your woman, Raffaele. Make it a memorable night for her." He takes steps towards me and points a finger to my chest, his approach doesn't intimidate me the way it does Tommy, but I respect him enough to listen.

"I know that in your training, I made it clear that family comes first." I nod. "Never order an early end to a family celebration, dinner, or any function, to deal with indiscretions. The only time ending a night early is acceptable is if there's an immediate threat."