Chapter 36 - Let It Burn

Raffaele

As promised this morning, I was up at six. Nathan seems to be an early riser as well. By seven, his eyes were wide open, and he joined the boys and me for our morning meeting. I chuckle to myself while we're in the middle of discussing the Agosti cops, as Nathan contributes to the conversation with his baby babble.

The moment he finishes his breakfast, he manages to clear a room of ten grown men. He delivered one hell of a dipper, the smell not only atrocious, but it lingers for a good fifteen minutes after. Luckily for me, Bianca offered, otherwise I may have thrown up as many times as Tommy, if not more. That kid can shit. Something definitely crawled up his ass and died.

I left Asimina and Nathan in the company of Kat, along with Maria and Bianca. From the moment Nathan called out to his mother, she's had a smile that won't fade. While they're safe at home planning the finishing touches on Nathan's christening and birthday, I'm on my way to deal with the Agosti's and bring an end to that mob.

"Should Stefano be part of this? The Agosti's are the reason he was separated from his family," Tommy emphasizes, glancing at me as he speaks.

Although I wanted Stefano to be here, his woman and child take priority. It's surreal how small his kid is and that we received a new member of our family within hours. Stefano's interactions with us yesterday felt like a step in the right direction. He embraced us all, and it wasn't awkward, the connection was real.

"He and Jaz have been through an emotional experience. Give him a few days, Tommy," I curtly respond. Rubbing the back of my neck, our car comes to a stop outside a Morelli hotel. This meeting with Eric and Jack is long overdue. Stepping out of the vehicle, I button my suit jacket and walk straight through the lobby. Striding into the boardroom, both men stand at our arrival. "Jack," I acknowledge the Mayor, and then tilt my head toward the Chief, "Eric."

"Mr. Morelli," they greet.

Unbuttoning my jacket, I take a seat, leaning one hand on my thigh and tapping the other hand on the boardroom table. Each man grabs a chair and makes themselves comfortable. "Do you have that list for me, Eric?" I ask, getting straight to the point. I need to eliminate this threat to move on to the next.

Tucking his hand on the inside of his suit jacket, he pulls out a piece of paper. Holding it up between his fingers, he declares, "It's all here."

"Are there only six?"

"Alive? Yes. Two were found dead at Caramella. I will continue to monitor and keep you updated."

"There are seven names on this list?" Tommy questions, demanding a response.

Eric leans forward and points to the paper, "The last name on that list is Carl Johnson. He's part of the Agosti mob and worked for John's father." Exhaling, he turns to face me, "He's not a cop, but he is the man that fostered your brother. The same man Stefano beat up and ran from. I thought the information might be useful." He brings his coffee to his mouth, taking a sip.

Nodding, I turn to Matteo and Marino and instruct, "You two. I want guards on Eric and his family until each man on that list is dead."

"I appreciate that. I don't want to end up like Andrew Foster," clasping his hands together he continues, "Paolo Zanetti was John's underboss. He's now the new Capo De Capi. Silvio Venturi has taken the underboss position."

"Jack, you're up. I want the four cops dead tonight," I state, leaving no room for argument.

Clearing his throat, his eyes falter. "The town of Victorville has an abandoned Air Force base, a small group uses it. They have a heroin lab. The setup of the place..." he hesitates and fades into his memories, "I'm surprised it hasn't gone up in flames already."