3│THE GOOD OLD DAYS, SORT OF

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙ. ʙ. ᴇꜰꜰᴇᴄᴛ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴏʟᴅ
ᴅᴀʏs, sᴏʀᴛ ᴏғ ꒱ 

❝ OOH! THAT'S ONE
BADASS STAPLER!

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Five year old Numbers Five and Eight were in the boy's room as he scribbled out equations on a chalkboard while Alexa sat on his bed as she drew. Despite their young ages, both preferred the quiet stillness of the other's company to their sibling's chaos. After all, One had Three, Four had Six, and Two stuck around Mom more often than not which left Five and Eight as partners with Seven occasionally tagging along.

The blonde girl looked up to where her favorite family member was working and watched the numbers appear in front of her eyes as he wrote. He was always the smartest of their siblings which was a trait that she greatly admired. Feeling her eyes on him, the boy couldn't help but look over his shoulder to smile smugly. "See something interesting?" he asked.

Eight rolled her eyes. "I would if you stopped writing those stupid numbers. You know I haven't got the head for them." Although— despite her complaining she never really minded when he worked.

"The numbers aren't stupid," Five protested. "I could teach you, if you want."

"I know the numbers aren't stupid— it's me," she sighed. Sometimes she felt that way around him even if it was unintentional.

The boy dropped the chalk on the ledge and came to the bedside. He grabbed her wrists to easily pull her up to a standing position. "C'mon, Eight, it's easy. You'll see."

Confidently, he pushed her towards the chalkboard and began pointing out equations. The blonde tried to follow along as best she could but lost the numbers along the way in favor of watching how his expression lit up as he talked about something he loved.

☂☂☂

All six siblings sat in the living room later that day as the fire crackled next to them. Klaus was at the bar making a drinkAllison had chosen one of the chairs and already had an alcoholic beverage in her hand. Diego sat in another chair while Alexa and Vanya shared the couch. Luther sat in front of them awkwardly before he stood after a moment of silence. "Um, I guess we should get started. So I figured we'd have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown; say a few words at dad's favorite spot."

Alexa gave him a surprised look. "Dad had a favorite spot?" she asked.

"You know, in front of the oak tree?" he asked. All of his siblings looked clueless. "We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?"

Where was this side of dad when I needed him? she thought, feeling a bit slighted that Luther got special treatment. It's not like I wanted to spend more time with dad but the gesture would've been appreciated.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by Klaus' question: "will there be refreshments? Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

Alexa gave him an amused smile and noted as he joined the meeting that the skirt he wore was Allison's.

"I think we could get Mom to make some cookies," she answered seriously but the amusement in her eyes gave her intentions away. "She did ask earlier when I first arrived."