6│TAKE A CHANCE ON ME

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙ. ʙ. ᴇꜰꜰᴇᴄᴛ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐈𝐗 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴏɴ ᴍᴇ ꒱ 

❝ YOU KNOW YOU'RE
SPECIAL TO ME, LEXA

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

It was just after lunch during their half-hour of free time on Saturday when nine-year-old Eight pulled Five aside. He gave her a questioning look as she asked, "can you come to the library with me? I need help looking for something."

His expression turned surprised as she knew the library better than pretty much everyone (except perhaps Ben) but he nodded anyway. Slipping her hand into his, they made their way to the room. He glanced down at the joined fingers and a light blush formed on his face. It wasn't that her touch was unusual or unwelcome, it was just that she'd never held his hand so obviously before. He was drawn out of his thoughts by her next question: "what do you think of the book Dad gave us to read for English?"

She glanced out of the corner of her eye to watch his reaction, which was a frown. "It's kind of boring, I guess. There should be more action. Why, what did you think?"

Alexa paused before she said, "I wanted to research one of the topics the book had."

Five gave her a curious look. "And you need my help for that?"

She nodded, avoiding his gaze and allowed her blonde hair to cover her face to hide her blush. They'd reached the library by now and with a gentle tug on his arm, she led him to the far back corner of the library where none of the hidden cameras could see them. There was a small space between the end of the bookshelf and the wall where two small children could fit comfortably. Pushing the boy lightly into the gap and against the wall of the bookshelf, she occupied the other space before she looked into his green eyes. They were about the same height which made it much easier to do so.

"Your research is back here?" Five questioned her. There weren't any books in this tiny space.

Alexa licked her lips nervously before she explained, "the, uh, research can't be found in books."

"Where can it be found, then?"

"With us," she answered. "I, um, wanted to do some. . ." She hesitated.

"You wanted to do what?" Five prompted her.

She looked up at him again to take in his green eyes and his lips which were quirked in a curious smile and the way his dark hair flopped into his eyes. Her throat was suddenly dry but she forced herself to continue. In a rushed voice she finished, "kissing research."

"Kissing research?"

She nodded quickly, hoping he'd understand. "The, uh, characters did it in the book. . . and I wanted to know what it was like. . ." she trailed off uncertainly before she hastily added, "you don't have to, though."

His smile widened despite the fact that his face had turned slightly red. "You don't have to be so nervous, you know. I don't mind participating in this. . . research."

Alexa's eyes met his, wide and surprised. "You don't?"

The boy shook his head, admitting in an almost embarrassed sort of way. "You know you're special to me, Lexa."

Alexa felt both pleased and rather silly. "You're special to me, too, Five. That's why I wanted your help."

He grinned at her as he examined the way her blue eyes had an almost hesitant look to them and how her blonde hair fell across her shoulders; he could even smell it in this small space, the scent of coconut and lavender that created a comforting aroma. Finding a strange, sudden courage, he asked, "do you want to do it now?"