Confessions

Disclaimer: This chapter contains some slightly heavier dialogue and more mature language (profanity). Read at your discretion.

Your Pov~
I paced back and forth in the small waiting room, raking my hands through my h/l h/c hair. I hate waiting here... I feel helpless. Obi had gotten injured again. His wound didn't seem that bad but then he couldn't walk, and I had to practically carry his heavy ass to the infirmary.

I wanted to be in there with him. Maybe I'd get the chance to tell him how annoyed I am that he was stupid enough to get shot with what might be a poison arrow all because he wanted to chase a damn rabbit into the forest... But Shirayuki kicked me out. She told me some fake excuse while giving me a pleading look and I assumed she wanted to take the chance to talk to him about something.

I sighed. But damnit, I want to be in there.. She told me I could come in once she made a diagnosis--told me she'd peek out the door and tell me to come in when she was done. I couldn't stop looking at the door, waiting for her redhead to pop out.

Stupid Obi. I told him it was a stupid idea, that we didn't know what was in the forest and he could get hurt. God, it's like he's still a seven year old or something. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

I growled in frustration, tugging at my h/c hair. Just then, the door to the waiting room opened.

"Uh.. Y/N? You okay?" I looked up; it was Zen.

"Oh--uh," I swallowed, "Yeah, yeah, I'm okay. Obi just did something stupid."

"What has he done since the day that he was born that wasn't stupid?" We both laughed, before I suddenly felt exhausted and sank into the seat next to me. Zen walked up and sat in the chair next to me, tapping his foot on the ground impatiently.

"Why aren't you in there with him?" He asked, but I wasn't going to say anything about Shirayuki.

"Why are you here?" I asked, changing the subject. He seemed to sense that I didn't want to talk about it and shrugged, holding up his hand. It had a pretty nasty cut on it--how didn't I notice that before? I guessed I was too preoccupied with my thoughts.

"Cut my hand," he replied, "I dropped a bottle.. and tried to pick up the broken glass with my bare hand."

"Jeez, Shirayuki has to deal with two idiots today," I said, and he laughed.

"Speaking of which," he paused, "What exactly did Obi do? How badly is he hurt?"

I sighed, shaking my head. "He saw a stupid white rabbit. Said he'd never seen one before.. I hadn't either, but you didn't see me chasing it into the forest that's known for its bandits. He wasn't that hurt.. but the arrow could have been poisoned. I think he'll be okay but he's still an idiot."

Zen laughed. "Seriously? He chased a rabbit into the dark forest? I swear he has the mind of a 4 year old."

"Right?"

Just then, the door creaked open.

"Hey Y/N," Shirayuki smiled, but her eyes were sad for some reason. "You can come in now."

I stood up and waved goodbye to Zen before walking into the treatment room and shutting the door, leaving Shirayuki and Zen alone in the waiting room. Something told me that Shirayuki had something to tell Zen, too, but I couldn't be sure.

"Hey," Obi greeted me, and I turned; he was sitting on the edge of the bed in a way that probably wasn't too good for his leg, which was all bandaged up, but he wouldn't listen to me if I told him to give the leg a rest. He didn't listen to me at all.

"Hey," I murmured, walking up to him. "What's the news?"

He laughed a little, and already I knew it couldn't be good. "Well.. the arrow was poisoned. I'll be okay.. but the muscles in my leg are gonna be really numb for a week or so."

I bit my tongue, but couldn't keep myself from bursting into anger. I wouldn't be able to go on tasks with Obi for at least a week, all because he was stupid and chased a goddamn rabbit into the forest.

"You dumbass!" I yelled, "You'd be fine right now if you hadn't chased the stupid rabbit!"

"You talk as though I'm dying," he chuckled nervously, "I know it was stupid.. but I'm okay, right? So no harm done."

"No harm done? No harm done?!" I took a step forward, "That poison could have been deadly! Obi, you could have fucking died!"

He blinked. He was probably shocked at my language, and at my anger--but I couldn't see why. Why is he so oblivious? He can't just keep getting himself hurt!

"So..?" He tilted his head with a stupid meloncholy smirk. "If I die, what's the issue? I don't have much of a purpose."

"Are you kidding me?!" I screeched, "What the hell do you mean, you don't have a purpose! Yes you do! Your purpose is to be here with me!"

The words just slipped out of my mouth, and I had to quickly find a cover-up. "..And to be with Zen, and Shirayuki, and all of us who care about you, all of us who depend on you, all of us who want you here! If you died, do you know how devastated I'd be?"

"Well.. you thought I died before, but you got through it, didn't you?" His eyes were dull. I didn't understand what he was talking about; what is with him today? Chasing a rabbit into a forest where he knew he'd get hurt, and then spewing all this absolute nonsense about having no purpose and being unimportant?!

He took a breath, averting his eyes, before they met mine again with a grave look. "Why do you care so much, anyway? What does it matter to you if I do something stupid and get myself hurt?"

What does it matter to me? Are you high or something? Holy hell! Obviously I care!!!

I could have said that; but instead, the first thought that came to my head rolled off my tongue without control.

"Because I'm fucking in love with you!! Are you stupid?!"

I clamped a hand over my mouth. His eyes were wide with shock.

"You're.. you're.. you're what?"

"I'm not going to repeat it," I said obstinately, and he sighed.

"Y/N. Did you mean it?"

"I--I.." Well, I guess this is the point of no return. "Yes. I'm in love with you. I have been for some time now."

Suddenly, he broke into an uncertain yet overjoyed grin.

"What the hell are you smiling about?"

"I'm in love with you, too," he said with the smile still on his face, before laughing hysterically. "I never thought I'd hear you say that. I never thought you'd seriously.. ah, god." He loves me back? Is he joking with me? I scanned his face for any look of mischief or hidden smirk..

But to my surprise, tears were forming in his eyes.

"I'm so happy," he said softly, "You mean it, Y/N? Seriously?"

"Yes. Absolutely. Do you mean it?" I responded in a breathless voice that sounded more like a whisper, and he grinned wider before lifting his hand and beckoning me closer.

"Of course I do," he responded, quickly wiping the unshed tears from his eyes. "I've loved you since we were children. I just always thought you found me annoying and a nuisance. Especially after.. after I abandoned you."

"I tried to convince myself that you were," I replied softly as I walked closer, sitting beside him on the edge of the bed. "But honestly, what childhood friend cliche would this be if I didn't fall in love?"

He laughed, before turning and wrapping his arms around me, his chin resting on the top of my head.

"I promise you I'll try not to do anymore stupid things to make you worry about me," Obi murmured, "I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too, Obi."

Yay it's all wrapping up--

There will probably be only one chapter after this and then a cute little epilogue. At long last, an end to this long journey. =)