42. The Time Of My Life

~Birthdays are seldom about parties and gift, they are more about being important enough for someone to take efforts for your smile!~

"Happy Birthday Nandini", the cumulative shout scared Nandini just for a bit, before her eyes adjusted to the lights and the flashy big banner and haphazardly arranged balloons all over, and a wide grin formed on her face when her eyes met her dear husbands who chuckled silently watching her expressions.

Sure shot, his wife was crazy abouth birthdays and he had seen heard it before too, but looking at her today he was realising just how much.

Anushree hugged her from behind, breaking their eye lock, and Nandini squealed in excitement, when she and Mrs. Chatterjee wished her. With twinkling eyes she walked upto her Appa and hugged him, as he kissed her forhead followed by Mr. Chatterjee and then Abhik.

Finally it was Manik's turn and the huge grin on his face was identical to hers when he walked a step ahead and pulled her to himself.

"Everyone close your eyes for a few seconds if you don't wanna be scarred for life", Abhik shouted, making everyone giggle as they complied except Nandini who wasn't embarrassed at least and though she was expecting Manik to be shy, he didn't show any sign either.

"Happy Birthday Wifey cum Akshara Bahu!", he whispered in her ear, before lightly biting her earlobe and Nandini clsoed her eyes in reflex as she clutched his lapels tighter, expecting him to crash his lips with her, but that didn't happen.

Instead of their lips, something else crashed.

The cake and her face, to be precise.

Everybody opened their eyes to Nandini's yelp only to see her entire face smudged in cake, she was blinking rapidly to open her eyes and Manik was busy evening out the cream on her face, trying hard to hold his laughter. Nandini looked so cute, pouting in annoyance while her husband was too busy in his art practice that the others couldn't stop but laugh out aloud, holding their stomachs in the process.

"Appa!!!", Nandini whined but her Appa didn't relent and continued to laugh, finally joined by Manik and eventually Nandini herself.

"Lets pose before I go wash my face", she exclaimed and it started, the unending round of photos and clicks and selfies. Nandini had found her partner in Anushree and together they clicked almost 100 pictures before actually being satisfied with some.

A few minutes later, Nandini moved towards the wahroom, singing 'It's my birthday' to herself and Manik followed suite, even when laughed at by others. Inside, Nandini was about to splash water on her face when she noticed him in the mirror. A grin welcomed him as he turned her to himself and tucked her loose hair behind.

"You didn't taste the cake, did you?", Manik questioned, his one hand holding her by her waist while the other played with her locks.

"umhhhh", Nandini shook her head, "My hubby didn't let me", she fake complained but her smiling eyes gave all away. Manik laughed, and shook his head.

"You really were surprised?", he asked, and Nandini immediately averted her eyes, not looking at him and trying to form words, when he started chuckling.

"What was I supposed to do? It's my birthday Manik!!! BIRTHDAY!!! I thought what if everyone forgets?", she was horrified as she confessed, "So I sneaked up a little on your phone and saw you ordered cake and stuff and so I knew!", she shrugged, explaining him while he was totally amazed at the crazyness.

"So You also know you have another cake waiting for you to be cut?", Manik asked and she nodded, but licked her lips teasingly.

"But tasting this cake would not be a bad option either!", her tone was suggestive and Manik raised an eyebrow before ducking his head to lick some cream off her cheek before crashing his lips on her finally, wishing her birthday the way she wanted.