44. Mini Monster In Action

~ Too much sugar is bad for health, so is too much salt. But the required blend of sweet and spice, is the elixir of relationships ~

Manik Malhotra had known surprises, the good kind and the bad kind. He knew how life could knock air out of your lungs in one swift motion, and how life could shower you with roses in another. His parents' death was the former kind, his Nandini was the latter. But on some rare days, there was another kind of surprise, the ones where morning wasn't sun rays shining on his face or Nandini kissing him awake, but the morning was kitchen utensils thrown away carelessly enough to make loud sounds and tell him good morning.

Or maybe not a good morning.

Rubbing his eyes, Manik made his way out of the bedroom to the kitchen, and saw Nandini making breakfast and throwing utensils here and there as she mumbled stuff to herself.

"Nandini?"

"WHAT?"

Manik flinched at her 'what' while she looked at him like she would eat him alive if given a chance

"Wh-what happened?", he rubbed the nape of his neck while asking, and Nandini glared at him some more.

" Nothing happened. What is supposed to happen? Nothing. Except me eating bland bread for breakfast. But it doesn't matter right? We can survive on fruits too. Oh wait, fruits also vanished out of the earth, didn't they?", Nandini pushed him away and walked out of the kitchen, holding her cup of tea in her hand and Manik stood pouting at her, waiting for his morning fuel.

It had been four weeks since Nandini's birthday and rather than coming closer since that night, they had spent the last seven days bickering mostly. Manik was too pre occupied with his case and Nandini didn't like him working all the time. She wanted him to rest, to talk to her, to ask her how her day was but Manik didn't do either of the things.

Manik came out of the kitchen ten minutes later sipping his coffee, when he saw Nandini still sitting on the sofa. He sighed, and sat beside her, breaking her chain of thoughts.

"Nandini, I have an off today after two whole weeks, you want to spend this fighting?", he sighed and looked at her, who was immediately taken aback at his statement.

"I want to fight? Really Manik?", Nandini scoffed and shook her head.

"I am dying to get your attention for a minute these days and you think I want to fight?", Nandini complained, but the seriousness in her tone made Manik gulp his words down.

"Nandini, I have been busy, you know that. It's not like I deliberately want to avoid you, but the case is twisted and-", he stopped short, not wanting to tense her up but Nandini turned to face him, gritting her teeth.

"So? Did I say You don't need to work? Did I say drop your case and be my guest? All I want is ten minutes out of your day Manik. I work too, I understand professional commitments. Plus I have grown up in another lawyer household remember? I understand work stress-", Nandini burst out immediately, wanting to release her frustration but was cut off by an equally impatient Manik.