Welcome to Detroit

Standing behind the counter at Quikie-Go with 90s R&B bumping in the background, I grab a pack of Black&Milds for this dusty ass nigga with a fucked up fade.

"Is this what you want?" I say, not even trying to keep the annoyance out my voice. He looks at me and bites his bottom lip. I hate this shit...why dudes really be thinking they cute or something? I hate working here for this specific reason. It's like all these trifling ass men just migrate here to work my last nerve.

"Yeah that's the one baby." He says, as he does what I think, is a "wink" which really looked like he was trying to hold back a sneeze. I roll my eyes and hand him the Black&Milds.

"$5.50" I say, annoying still dripping from my voice, I ring him up. He pulls out a crumpled, dirty ass $10 and tries to straighten it on the counter. I give him a disgusted look as he tries to hand it to me.

"Here you go beautiful. I hope I also get some digits back with my change or you can just keep the change in exchange for that number." He smiles and all I see is, yellow what looks like, diseased infested teeth with silver caps all in the back. I snatch his nasty $10 and hand him back his change. He looks at me disappointed, like someone stole his toy as a baby.

"So I can't get your number then?" He asks slyly, tryna flash me that dirty ass smirk.

" Look sir you're holding up my line." I say tryna keep my temper at bay.

"There's nobody else in here." He says looking around, chuckling slightly. I roll my eyes even harder and walk away from the register, resisting the urge to puke, I go stock up the rest of the cigarettes on the wall behind me.

"Hey bitch I said I want your number!" He screams at me, I drop the boxes of cigarettes tryna figure out who the fuck this nigga talking to.

"Who the fuck you calling a bitch you dingy ass nigga?!" I practically jump over the counter before my best friend Cassandra comes running from the back of the store effectively holding me back.

"Jazz, chill out! He's not worth it! He's just another broke down no good ass Detroit nigga."She says as she looks at him up and down with judgmental eyes.

"Man fuck you both! You ugly anyway!" He says storming out the store.

"Fuck you and your fucked up ass mouth!" I shout as Cassandra let's me go.

"Girl don't let these men drive you crazy." She states as she pats her head to stop the itching. Her weave is honestly looking fucked up. She does hair on the side and usually slays her own but today, it ain't working. I've always been slightly jealous of Cassie, her perfectly glowing skin, oozing with melanin and her honey colored eyes, her body curved in all the right places, I get harassed on the daily but poor Cass gets hounded everywhere she goes, that part, I'm not jealous of.

"Well when they learn to take a hint and stop acting like just because we females, we have to give them the time of day, I'll chill." I walk back to the cigarette wall and start back stocking where I left off.

" Girl you live here you know that shit is never gonna happen." She says as she helps me stock, then quiet but strong, I hear a familiar voice, crooning in the background, "Do you remember, when we fell in love? We we're young and innocent then.." A smile spreads across my face as I begin to move to the song. It changed my whole mood, bringing back memories of me and my grandma when I was a child, I'm now looking forward to getting off and living in the memories shared with my favorite person. Cass looks at me giving me that side-eyed smile as she continues to stock,

"I'll tell you one thing, only one man can make you smile like that." I look at her and throw a empty cigarette box at her.

"Shut up and let me listen to my man in peace." I say sticking my tongue out at her.