Chapter 1: Lucky Swish

For some chapters, I put songs on them for you to listen to while reading. It's like a soundtrack. Enjoy!

I shoot hoops in the driveway. I shoot a shot from the side and it passes through the net with a satisfying swishing sound. "Hey, Chris." says a voice. I turn around. I see my stepbrother, Luke, walking towards me. I am five foot three and Luke, who is only a year older than me, is five foot nine. He somehow got the tall genes that I would have given anything to have. "Want to do some one on one?" says Luke. "Luke, you're going to dominate me every time." I say. "Not unless you learn to embrace your shortness and use your speed.You're trying out for the Glenwood High School team. That too the boys' team. And don't you think that Liam D'amato will try out for the basketball team?" says Luke. Liam D'amato was the tallest kid in tenth grade, at six foot two. "Yes." I say. "And are you going to let him dominate you?" asks Luke, his eyebrows raised. "No." I answer. "I didn't think so." he says.

I bounce pass the ball to him and he passes it back. I start dribbling and immediately Luke's guarding me. I throw a head fake to the left and spin away to the right. Then I drive to the basket and go in for a layup. The ball hits the box and goes in. "That's what happens when you embrace your shortness and speed." says Luke, grinning. "Nice fake, Chris." he says. That's his affectionate nickname for me. "Thanks, Luke." I say.

We keep playing one on one until we are tired, sweat soaking our hair and dripping down our faces. "With defense like that, I know where you're going." says Luke, smiling. "Where?" I ask. "The team." he replies. I laugh. "We'll see." I say. Luke picks up the ball. "If I make this shot," he says. " My sister will make the team and teach them boys a lesson." Luke shoots the ball and I hold my breath as it sails up. It passes through the net with a swish. I hope I'm as lucky as that shot was.