Chapter 16: Petite

I was furious when Christina got her jacket. A short, skinny girl doesn't deserve a place on the team. Short kids can't dominate. As they call my name and hand me the jacket, I slide it on. I look hot in this. My parents will be proud of me. But what the heck is a girl doing on the A team? A girl would cause problems. Girls aren't as aggressive or as mentally strong as boys. That would mean easy turnovers on every posession. A girl would be too scared to take shots. A girl would turn the ball over without  a fight. And Christina is too skinny, too breakable. She won't last a week on the court.

Girls are way too dramatic and sensitive. They cry and get hurt easily. If a girl is still crying a week from a breakup, how will she be mentally strong enough to handle sports? Knock a boy down and he probably won't cry, but give a girl a little shove and she'll go running off, crying and snitch on you. It's how girls are.

After the last jackets are handed out, Christian and I go up to Coach Anthony. "I'm sorry, Coach." I say. "I don't mean to be rude but what is a girl doing on the team?" "She was really good at her old school. There was no girls team here and I let her try out." Coach Anthony replies. "She made it fair and square. I could use five of her on the court."

Christina had better watch her back on Monday. I'm coming for her. During practice, I'm not planning on going easy on her. I'm going to make Christina break. It'll probably be easy for me but hard on her. "D'amato." Coach Anthony says. "Yes?" I say. "Look, you need to get along with Christina." he says. "You were competing against each other in tryouts but you both made it and you're on the same team. You need to work with each other. It's not you against her anymore. It's both of you against the other schools."

I nod. But there's no way I'm going to work with Christina. Christina doesn't belong on the court with a bunch of boys taller than her. A petite, fragile girl can't handle all the stress that comes with basketball. Period. She's like a cute petite doll. But cute petite dolls can't be on the court.