Chapter 35: Hustle

D'amato's three week suspension is up just in time for the championship game against Westbrook High School. We have beat these boys, twice. We just need to beat them again. I need to watch out for their defense. The defense is going to be insane in a championship game. Because even if you're only ahead by a few points, stopping the other team from scoring can bring you the win. The bleachers are packed, even more than last time. They even had to leave out extra chairs and people were doubling up on seats. "See those people in the audience," says Chase. "They're here to see us play." "It's like, unbelievable." I say.

"Alright, this is championships! We've worked hard to be here!" says Coach Roxanne. "Three, two, one!" We chant the Glenwood cheer one last time, clapping our hands in rhythm, all our voices sounding like one. I walk onto the court, feeling full of energy, as if I've swallowed three cans of Redbull. "Christina, do the jump ball!" says Coach Roxanne. "What!" says D'amato. We switch places. I am in the jump circle, staring down the tallest Westbrook boy on the team. My heart is racing. This guy is too tall for me to beat in a jump ball. What is Coach Roxanne thinking? But I trust her and I have to trust the decision.

The ref comes forward with the basketball in his hand. He throws it in the air. The Westbrook boy and I jump at the same time, but I tap the ball a split second before him. To my surprise, it goes exactly where I want it to. Chase catches it and passes to D'amato, who is already down the court. He shoots and makes it. "Nice, D'amato." says Coach Roxanne. We're on defense. I am on my player the minute he gets the ball. I steal it from him and sprint down the court. We keep playing. The Westbrook team is good but they never get the lead over us. There are moments when they almost overtake us, but that's where our defense and stealing comes in handy.

It's a tie and there are only twenty seconds left in the game. Chase passes to me. The Westbrook boys swarm me but I know what I have to do. I have ten seconds to get the ball over the half-court. I spin away. A boy slaps at the ball. I almost lose the ball but I recover it. The audience is counting down in unison. I sprint as fast as I can, going for the layup. The tall Westbrook boy has his hand in my face. The ball has already left my hands. My heart stops. The ball, as if in slow motion, passes through the net. Cheers explode from the bleachers. A shout of joy voluntarily escapes my lips. D'amato comes over to me. "High five!" he says, reaching his hand up. I can't reach it. "Down low." D'amato says, holding his hand out. Before he can pull it away, I slap it. "Guess you're not too slow ." he laughs. I think I can stop hating D'amato. Does that mean I have to forgive him for what he did? No. I will be careful around him and I might be nervous and jumpy around him for a while. But does that mean I have to be scared of him and hate him forever? No. For once, I see why I should follow my mom's advice.

We're not going to Chili's tonight. Because tonight is homecoming night.

My mom drives me home to change. I take a shower and I change into a long, black dress and wear a simple white necklace. I comb my hair back and tie it into a ponytail. I am about to wear my heels when Luke says, "You don't need those." "They'll make me look taller." I say. "But screw them. I'm no longer gonna try to change my height." My mom drives Luke and I to homecoming. "Anything happens, just give me or Luke a call." she says. I get out of the car and walk through the hallway. It is deserted so everyone must already be in the gym. I open the gym door and walk in. Everybody goes silent. "Wow, you look good." says Chase. The music starts up and we start dancing. Aiden doesn't say a word. Does he still believe those rumors? No, he can't still believe them. The word is out that the rumors are false. But then I realize it. Pride. He's too proud to say he's sorry that he ever believed D'amato. Pride is what kept me from quitting the team. But pride is also what kept me from getting help when I needed it and now it is keeping Aiden from saying sorry or admitting that he's wrong. Will he ignore his pride and admit that he was wrong, or will he live behind a shell of pride forever? I don't know. But there's time to worry about it later.

"Alright!" announces Principal Rodriguez from the top of the bleachers. I've only seen him outside his office once or twice. "We will jump straight to the moment you've been waiting for, homecoming queen and king!" Cheers break out across the gym. Principal Rodriguez hands Coach Roxanne a slip of paper. "Okay guys." she says, adjusting the microphone to her height. "So our  queen and king is..." There is a long pause and silence. Everyone waits with bated breath. "Christina Perkins and Chase Ty." "Go Christina!" cheers Katrini. We both walk to the top of the bleachers and face the crowd, smiling, looking straight ahead. Principal Rodriguez places a tiara on top of my head and a crown on top of Chase's head. Chase and I are handed golden sashes that read "King" and "Queen" on them respectively. I try to fit the sash around me. The sash is too loose for a short girl like me. I laugh. What a tragedy. But Chase helps me adjust it. We lace hands and all of a sudden, I kiss Chase on the cheek. Why did I do that? But then I realize why I'm choosing Chase over Aiden as I look into his eyes. Chase has a personality that could never be tainted by pride or jealousy. He will never give anybody the silent treatment and will be ready for a compromise. That's why he is such a good friend and that is why I want him.

"And of course, it is tradition for Homecoming Queens and Kings to give us a little speech." says Principal Rodriguez. He hands Chase the microphone. "Go ahead." he says. "I'm honored to be here today." Chase says into the microphone. "And I just want to say, I have realized what this is all about." Chase continues. "High school shouldn't be about who's the hottest guy or girl. It should be about being the one you want to be." He pauses again. "So if you want to be an athlete, shoot your shot. If you want to be a dancer, get out there and start busting some moves. If you want to achieve something, go ahead."

"But we freeze up." says Chase. "We wonder what people will think of us. We wonder what our parents will say. We wonder what happens if we fail. But we need to push that aside. Everyone has something they want. And if you want it bad enough to face everything that comes your way, nobody can drag you down." There is a moment of silence, but then applause explodes throughout the gym.

And it's my turn. I stand in front of the mic. I have to reach up and adjust it to my height. "My name is Christina Perkins." I say. "Or maybe you've seen me and just thought of me as that short girl. Yes, I know I'm short. I can't reach high shelves and there are lots of you who can easily pick me up without effort." I pause to let my words sink in and continue. "It's haunted me since seventh grade. There are times when I hate it. But now I've learned to love it. And when you love yourself, nobody can take it away from you."

"But I am so much more than just a short girl." I say. "I am a little sister, a friend, a daughter, a student, and a player. And I would like to thank Coach Roxanne, Coach Ricky and all my teammates for their support." And I mean it when I say this, for every one of them. "Tall people had some advantages in the games." I say. "But even though I'm short, I had my advantages too. If you focus on what you have, and don't let what you can't control or don't have stop you, I don't think you can go wrong."

Applause echoes throughout the gym. "Yes Chris!" cheers D'amato. We all have a good time, dancing and cheering and yelling, being wild, crazy teenagers for one night. Once the dance is over, Chase and I head outside. Stars dot the sky and moonlight lights up our faces. Chase kneels down. "What are you doing?" I say. Then I realize it. Chase pulls me in closer. Our lips touch and a magical sensation tingles throughout my body. We pull apart.

"Glad you didn't wear heels." Chase says. "You're fine, just the way you are, sixty two inches, no more." This my first year at Glenwood and I think it only gets better from here.

So what if the people I play against are taller than me by a foot, maybe more? The competition may have height and muscle. But I have a passion and my hustle.

And nobody can take that away.