Chapter 14

“Can we talk?”

“I assume this is about earlier.” His hand slides off the door knob and rests by his side. I nod, watching him carefully as I analyze every moment, trying to read what he is saying. I was always taught to pay attention to a person’s body language, Mom always encouraged it. You can learn a lot from a person without a single word ever leaving their lips, and I think it is more important now than ever. 

“Yeah, I need to clear something up. Everything right now feels out of place.” He cocks his head for a moment, then slowly seems to understand what I mean. He takes a step away from the door, his flames beginning to turn colors.

"I see." He walks up to me. I can feel his warmth near my hand. "Maybe it wasn't the right time to tell you that. A lot has happened as of late and you must be under some stress. If it bothers you, we can talk about this another time." He gives me hand a comforting squeeze.

"No, I still want to talk about it." I look up to see his face a glow a color I know well from when he gets flustered or embarrassed. 

"Then should I start off then or?" He ends off unsure of his words. I guess since I wanted to talk in the first place, then I should take the initiative. Maybe I should have thought this through.

"Do you truly think of me in that way?" I shy away a bit, feeling my face heat up. It suddenly became hard to look him in the eye. 

"I… I can't be entirely too sure. I've never really been with someone who wasn't a monster." The same warmth on my hand appears on the side of my face. It forces me to look back at him. "Since you understand how I am feeling, it all depends if you want to move forward with this." I find comfort in his touch, involuntarily leaning further towards him. I’m not sure how to feel about it. I’ve never really felt this before. 

“I wouldn’t mind, Firefly,” I smile, wrapping my arms around him. He sighs at the nickname, shaking his head. 

“You have been hanging around Dings too much.”

“Hey, I think he might be warming up to me now. He hasn’t looked at me in anger or annoyance as much as he used to,” I say, laying my head against him and hugging him tightly. I actually really hope he is; in the military I was used to not really having any friends or anyone I was close to. Having been here, I’ve gotten used to actually having conversations with people that doesn’t end in insults of threats. Not gonna lie, its kinda nice. He chuckles slightly, shaking his head. 

“You need to get some rest if you will be fighting him tomorrow,” he says, pulling away from me and walking over to his dresser. He pulls out some clothes for himself, giving me the cue to turn around. We used to walk out and wait, but we got so tired of doing that we just agreed to turn around whenever the other was changing.
Metal hits the floor behind me, followed by the sound of it begin kicked to the side. I guess I could take my armor off in the meantime, too. Very carefully, I loosen the straps around my body and lift the chest plate over my head. It drops on the bed, my grieves following shortly after. They make a small pile on the bed, the metal and leather clean enough to not leave any residue on the blanket. I’ll have to find a spot for my stuff since Grillby took one of the corners. Maybe I can just set it on top of the fridge. 

I move everything to the side, the grieves threatening to fall before I stuff them inside my chest peice. There, that should stay. “You can go ahead and get dressed,” Grillby speaks aloud from behind me. I turn to see him wearing plaid pajama bottoms with a regular t-shirt. He has like, four different pairs of plaid pants, each one a different color. I guess I can’t talk too much, it’s not like I have that much diversity in my clothing style either. Walking over to the dresser, I open up my drawer, third one down, and pick out shorts and a shirt. As chilly as it is down here, I just can’t sleep with long pants on. They usually end up riding up to my knees, don’t ask me how. I don’t know either.