Did we win?

"Did we win?" Jordan repeated "Did we win, thats the first thing you want to say? Bloody hell Nat, yes we won. But what about your injury?"

"What was the scoreline?"

"3-1, but can we please talk about your injury!

"Who scored?"

"Who scored?! That's what you want to talk about?! Viv, Daan and Kim. Now about your leg. The doctors sai-"

"Who scored for them?"

"Jill Scott. Now can we please talking about your leg!"

"I don't want to talk about my leg! I want to talk about the fucking game!" Natalia snapped, only then realising how heavy her leg was, it felt like a dead weight.

"Well we have to talk about your leg, about your injury. It happened to me too, I know how it feels." Jordan moved to sit next to the bed, carefully taking her teammates hand in hers.

"All I remember is getting the ball, lining up for the shot and then pain. Agonising pain. And then I remember the doctors saying it could be my career over if I don't recover properly." She whispered, finally making eye contact with the person next to her. Jordan had been there for her from day 1 and she was so glad to have her there to stop her from breaking down.

FLASHBACK - SUMMER 2019

Natalia Stephens was in France. She had been asked to train with the Lionesses so she could get the feeling of a big tournament. The girl was only playing for her university in America so it was a shock to all when she got the call.

She was nervous. Nervous is an understatement. This was her chance to impress. Natalia Stephens was at the World Cup and she was going to prove to Phil Neville and everyone else that she deserved to be there and she deserved a contract with someone. She didn't care who, just a team.

She arrived late, well she had got the call late. The girls had been in France for a few days by the time she arrived. She was slightly delirious from the long flight as she made her way to the hotel desk. All she wanted was her room key and Phil had said there would be someone waiting for her there.

"Are you Natalia Stephens?" a voice behind her said. Nat quickly turned around to be met by Jordan Nobbs. Her eyes widened as she tried to quickly make herself look presentable to one of her heros.

"Yes! Yeah, yes.. yes I'm Natalia Stephens! Hi, yeah... that's me." She cursed herself internally. Play it cool Nat, you only get one first impression.

"I'm Jordan, nice to meet you." She already knew that. She knew who she was. She knew she wasn't playing due to her injury and was there for moral support.

"I can tell you're tired so here's your room key, 3rd floor." Jordan continued "We have a team meeting tonight at 6 so dont be late, its in the conference room down the hall"

She nodded, going to speak when someone walked past and waved at Jordan, offering Nat a quick 'hi nice to meet you' before walking on. Natalia was frozen.

She knew who the girl was, she'd watched enough of her games to know. But she didn't think she'd be struck by the girl. Her heart pounded in her chest, her cheeks went red. She knew love at first sight wasnt real but she also knew that girl already had her tongue tied.

"Is that..."

"Rachel Daly? Yeah. That's her."