Gameday

The next few months went by quickly. Natalia stepped up her rehab, going back to playing, and Rachel went back to Houston. They kept in contact, slowly trying to figure out what they wanted from their relationship.

Natalia's form quickly earned her a spot in the England squad for their games against the USA and Germany. Rachel was there too. They kept some distance between them, not wanting their teammates to know what their relationship was like.

On gameday for the match against the USA they stood next to each other as they lined up on the pitch. On the other side of the line Kristie Mewis lined up, also having been recalled to her national team.

"You're gonna do great Nat, lets smash them." Rachel whispered as she hugged her before hugging her and jogging over to her starting position.

Natalia gave her a small smile in response before putting her game face on and getting in the zone.

The game was rough. Tackles were flying in, both teams trying to get the better over a strong rival. In the 35th minute Natalia went extended her leg to control the ball. At the same time Kristie flew into her. There was an audible crunch.

Both players were down, Natalia, in floods of tears, clutching her knee and Kristie holding her ankle.

She could see Rachel running towards them. She waited for the reassuring words of the girl she had feelings for, for her touch. But it never came. She looked up and saw Rachel kneeling besides Kristie, running a hand through her hair.

She went numb. Rachel had made her choice. Everything around Natalia faded out. She didn't care about them loading her onto a stretcher, immobilising her knee. She didn't care that she may have just had a severe reinjury to the knee she'd spent months building up. She didn't care anymore.

AN: Thats the end. I'm sorry its so bad and took so long, been really really ill. I know this wasnt a good story and I'm not a good writer but thank you for sticking with it.