View from the balcony

Flashback Summer 2019

"Oh come on Nat, this is ridiculous! I can't believe you've never tried it!" The look on Rachels face was one of pure shock, as if someone had told her that they didn't breathe oxygen or that they didn't need sleep.

"It's just not something I've ever wanted to try. I didn't think it was that big of a deal." The brunette blushed. If it was a little lighter outside she was sure Rachel would've noticed but the night sky kept it hidden.

They were sitting on the balcony of Rachel and Millie's room. It was the night before the Japan game. Millie was off phoning her boyfriend leaving the two alone. It had turned into a game of never have I ever that had brought a huge shock to Rachel.

"You never trying coffee is a massive deal! How have you survived this long? It literally keeps me fuelled! We have got to change this, tomorrow before the match you are having your first coffee!"

"It's just never been something I've been interested in." The midfielder shrugged before shiverring. It may not have been freezing out but it sure as hell wasn't warm.

"Here, scooch over, we'll keep each other warm" The Houston player beckoned the other girl over, wrapping a strong arm around her.

It was peacefully silent. The girls spent a few minutes staring at the view in deep thought. Slowly, Natalia turned her head till she was facing Rachel. They locked eyes and slowly started moving closer together. Their noses touched.

Suddenly the balcony door burst open and they quickly moved apart.

"Alright girlies, what did I miss!" Millie plopped herself down between the girls, oblivious to the fact that she had just ruined a moment.

"Not much" Rachel mumbled. She was confused. She had Kristie, what had just happened? "Tomorrow this one is having her first coffee, right Nat?"

"Right." She whispered, returning to staring off the balcony at the light in the distance.