Burning Sun

FLASHBACK SUMMER 2019

It was hot, brutally hot. No one had expected it to be like this. Training under the hot French Sun was so much more draining than training in the English rain.

The team had made it through the group and past Cameroon in an interesting knockout match. Now they had Norway. Nat had stepped up her level, she was training harder than she ever had, and there were eyes on her. She had already received calls from some big English clubs who had heard about her and she was determined not to let that slip.

"There's something about you I just can't put my finger on Stephens."

Natalia looked up from her seat by the side of the training pitch. The morning training session had just finished but Nat wasn't done. She was taking a small break but would then stay out for another hour or two, working on the tiny details of her game.

"How so Daly?" She used her hand to shield her eyes from the burning sun, although as soon as she had she wished she could stare back into it. That way she wouldn't have been able to see the Dash player.

Rachel was glistening, the sweat from the work out making her look like a vampiric extra from Twilight. She was using the bottom of her shirt to wipe her face, leaving her abs on show.

Nat reverted to looking down at her hand, the thumb she dislocated still covered in tape. She picked at the ends of it to try and distract herself from the desire building in her chest.

Rachel knew what she was doing, how could she not? The blush that filled Nat's cheeks whenever she spoke was an indication enough! Or maybe she was really oblivious, Nat didn't know. But she knew Rachel was in a relationship and that she should step away. So she had. She hadn't had alone time with her since the day at the coffee shop, and she intended to keep it that way.

"Well we get all close, we have inside jokes and cute nicknames, and then all of a sudden it's like I don't exsist." She sat down next to the brunette, taking her hand into her own. "I mean I didn't even know you'd hurt yourself, what did you do?"

"That's really not important. I need to get back to work." Nat said briskly, standing up and trying to get away before she made a fool of herself. A grip on her hand stopped her from doing so, spinning her around and making her look into those eyes.

"Have dinner with me tonight, please? I miss you."

"I.. I... ugh fine. Tonight at 8. I'll meet you down here." Nat relented, that stare had broken her. "You better not be late Daly. If you're over 2 minutes I'm leaving." She said, giving her an easy get out. Rachel was known for being late.

"Of course Stephens. I'll see you at 8." Rachel nodded and walked towards the rest of the team, leaving Natalia cursing herself internally under the beams of the burning sun.

AN: Sorry its shit and taken so long. life has really hit a bump