Chapter 4 - Nightmares and Movies

Adrian

I'm lying in bed staring at the ceiling for what seems like hours. As I study the small streaks of light that filter through the dark room, I know I'm in for another sleepless night. I turn to grab my phone on the night table and it reads 1:15am.

I throw it back on the table and sit up on the edge of the bed in frustration. I hate when this happens. I throw on a t-shirt and decide I should go finish the movie I started watching the other day. I can usually fall asleep that way.

I make my way down the hallway to go the TV room downstairs that no one ever occupies, and I find myself inexplicably stopping in front of Sofia's room. I press my ear against the door, but I'm only greeted with silence.

She's sleeping you freaking idiot, what did you expect?

Realizing I must look like a weird creeper if someone were to catch me like this, I step away from the door. I'm about to continue on my way when I hear a muffled noise.

I lean against the door again, and it sounds like she's crying. The sound tugs at something inside of my chest. Shit. I really hope she's not crying because of me or any of the stupid stuff I've said to her.

"No, please," I hear her say. "Please, don't."

What the hell?

Suddenly she lets out a toe curling scream and I just about knock down her door. I turn on the light and she's thrashing in between her covers on the bed.

I immediately go towards her and she's covered in sweat, her hair matted against her forehead. She must be having a really bad dream.

"Sofia, wake up," I tell her, shaking her shoulders lightly. I'm not exactly sure how to wake someone from a nightmare without scaring them even further.

She whimpers and tries to push my hands away from her. I shake her more forcefully. "Princess, it's me. Wake up."

She opens her eyes and all I see is pure, unadulterated fear in them. I reach towards her, but she flinches and makes a move away from me. Like she's scared of me.

"Shh, Sofia. It was a dream. You're safe," I gently tell her.

She looks at me confused for a second, as if she's finally realizing I'm sitting on the bed next to her, and then looks around the room.

"I heard you screaming and I came in. Are you okay?" I reach for her again, but stop at her guarded expression. She looks absolutely terrified.

She shakes her head, but I think more than just answering my question, she's trying to get the dream out of her mind. Suddenly she gags and covers her mouth, and next thing I know she's jumping off the bed and running towards the bathroom in full speed.

Not knowing what else to do, I follow her and she's on her knees throwing up in the toilet. Her hair falls around her face, so I go to hold it back in place for her. I crouch down behind her and soothe her back while she lets out all the contents of her stomach. I've never done this for someone before, so I hope I'm helping.

She reaches up to flush the toilet, and sits back against her heels. She rests her forehead against her hands and I notice her body is slightly trembling. She pushes my hands off of her and quickly ties her hair up in a messy ponytail with a tie on her wrist. "Please leave," she tells me in a hoarse voice.

I hesitate, not wanting to leave her alone in the least. I'm not in a position to argue with her, so I make my way out of the bathroom and close the door behind me. If it were me, I wouldn't want anyone to see that either.