Chapter 25 - Changing of the Guard

Sofia

"Hey Miss Carter," Mia says wrapping her arm around me.

I look towards my sister-in-law in confusion and she laughs.

"Your shirt. That's cute," she points out.

Oh, right. For a minute I had forgotten I was wearing Adrian's jersey to the game today. Well, more like he insisted on it, but I certainly wasn't going to complain.

"Ooh, let me see," Emma, my other sister-in-law, says. She spins me around and sweeps my hair to the side to get a better look at the lettering on my back. "That is so adorable," she says.

"Did you know he also gave her a promise ring? I swear it's just so sweet," Mia tells her.

"Get out," Emma says, immediately grabbing my hand to inspect it. "Aww, so adorable," she repeats.

I laugh at both of them fussing over me like this as we take a seat on the bleachers. Today is the last game of the season and Adrian's final college match, and for some reason my older brothers and their families decided to show up for it from London. But honestly, I couldn't be more excited to have them all here.

"So when do you think he'll actually propose? I know you just turned nineteen, but that's still pretty young to get married," Mia asks.

"No one is getting married anytime soon," a voice suddenly says. I look up to see my brothers Leo and Max standing next to us, both of them with frowns on their faces even though it was Leo who said that. Behind them are all three of my nephews and my one niece.

Camila is holding onto Leo like her life depended on it, just like she always has. She's the youngest of all of them, and like me, sometimes feels left out being the only girl. I guess the male gene is dominant in our family. Leo picks her up as he sits down in between Mia and me, and Camila settles contently in his lap. She's also an exact replica of Mia and the biggest daddy's girl.

"Here you go, sweetness," Leo says, handing Mia a bottle of water. "Sorry, they didn't have lemonade."

"That's fine. Thank you, hubby," Mia answers. She rests her head on his shoulder and runs her hand through her daughter's hair affectionately.

The three boys, Joaquin, Elias, and Julian, scatter down the bleachers and start playing tag. Joaquin is Camila's older brother and Leo and Mia's first child, and the other two boys are Max and Emma's. But they all act like they're brothers than actual cousins.

"Don't go too far, boys!" Emma calls after them.

"We won't!" Joaquin yells back just as he tags Eli, and they all run up the bleachers again screaming.

Max sits down on my other side and pulls Emma near him, kissing her forehead. He's so in love with her sometimes it's ridiculous. Not that Leo is any better with Mia. Yes, both of my older brothers are profoundly whipped and proudly so.

I look out towards the field and quickly spot Adrian warming up on the sidelines. He's not hard to miss, but the yellow armband he's wearing as captain makes it even easier to track him.

I see him go up to the referee once he finishes his warm ups and he chats with him until the captain of the opposing team shows up for the coin toss.

I don't really make out who wins it, but as Adrian walks back towards his team, he slightly lifts up his shirt to wipe his face and it gives me a really nice preview of his six-pack.

"Show us some more skin, number eight!" I yell at him.

He looks towards me and smiles, but then his expression quickly changes and he shakes his head. He goes to talk to Nico quickly before they both go take their positions, Adrian in midfield and Nico as a forward.