Chapter 22 - New Memories

Adrian

I wake up in the morning feeling like I just won the lottery. Everything is finally coming to place and I couldn't be happier. I'm deeply in love with the girl of my dreams and it turns out she's in love with me too and is moving with me to DC as I start my soccer career. Dr. Lucic would be so proud.

Sofia's tucked in my arms, her blond hair spilling over the pillow, and donning my shirt from yesterday buttoned in only a couple of places. It gives me an incredible view of her body in the daylight and does nothing to help my morning state.

I swear it's her doing this to me because I've never experienced anything close to this. It's like my body is constantly begging me to have her and it's driving me insane. Yes, I absolutely love it, but at the same time I don't want her to think I'm a horny bastard that only cares about sex. She certainly wasn't complaining about it last night, but I'm sure she won't be happy today if she's sore.

Before I can stop myself, my hand is reaching out to her and brushing her hair back. It's like sometimes I just have to touch her to know that she's real. My fingers travel up her thighs as I lean in and softly kiss her neck. I can perfectly distinguish her scent mixed with mine and I blame her pheromones for making me this way.

My hand is traveling up her stomach and I'm kissing my way to her throat when she stirs. "No. Stop," she says.

I immediately freeze and look towards her but she has her eyes tightly closed.

"Sofia, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done that," I say instantly regretting what I just did.

She pushes against me even though I'm no longer holding her and she suddenly lets out a piercing scream. She starts thrashing in the sheets and it's only then that I realize she's dreaming. Or having a nightmare. Fuck.

I grab her arms, trying to remember how I got her to wake up last time this happened. "Sofia, wake up. It's a dream. You're having a dream, baby."

She struggles against me and starts crying.

"No, baby. Please, wake up. You're safe. We're in Marbella, remember? Please," I shake her forcefully.

Her eyes fly open and she bolts upwards, moving away from me in fear.

"Shh, Sofia. It was just a bad dream. You're completely safe, I promise."

She lets out a painful sigh and covers her face. "Adrian," she gasps in relief.

"Yes, baby. I'm here," I say reaching out towards her hesitantly.

"Oh god," she says, throwing herself in my lap and wrapping her arms around my neck.

I draw her closer, hugging her tightly, panicking at the significance of her nightmare. She's had this nightmare before, but last time it seemed like just that – a nightmare. But this time, it seemed to stem from somewhere. Like it was real. Like it was a memory. Did I do that to her?

"I'm sorry, Adrian," she says apologetically, her voice thick with emotion.

"No, I'm sorry. Darling, what ... who were you dreaming about? Was it me?"

She shakes her head and I feel some temporary relief, but equal devastation at the same time. I now wish the answer was me because that leaves one other possibility and I don't want it to come to fruition.

"Then who, Sofia?"

She shakes her head again, backing away from me, and I feel the temperature of the room drop. Goosebumps crawl under my skin and I feel a knot in my stomach so big that I think I'm going to be sick.