Chapter 18 - Jenga

Adrian

I knock on her door before letting myself in. She’s sitting on her bed, talking to Carmen, and they’re both laughing. I smile at the scene in front of me, not having expected it when I walked in here.

She has Teddy on her lap, and it causes me to smile even more. She hasn’t let go of him since I gave him to her. I didn’t think this could ever happen, but I have to say that I’m actually jealous of a stuffed animal.

“Hey,” she looks at me worriedly. I can tell she’s already wondering what I’m doing here.

“Sorry, I didn’t realize you were busy. I can come back,” I tell her.

She exchanges a glance with Carmen and she nods at her.

“Um, actually it’s okay. We were just wrapping up,” Sofia says.

Bueno, niña. Los dejo,” Carmen says getting up and heading my way towards the entrance of the room. She gives me a knowing smile before leaving and closing the door behind her.

I quickly join Sofia on her bed. She’s already in her pajamas, wearing these really cute shorts with a top, and her eyeglasses. To this day, I never understand how she can look so adorable and sexy as hell at the same time.

“Do you think she knows about us?” I ask her.

“Um … yeah,” she answers.

“Sorry, I probably made it really obvious right now.”

“Well, that too,” she laughs. “But besides that, I kind of told her.”

“Sofia! You told her?” I ask incredulously.

“I’m sorry! I had no one else to talk to about you and it was driving me crazy. She already knew anyway even before I told her anything and she swore to secrecy.”

“How did she know? You really think she’s not gonna say anything?”

“Last week when you stayed with me after the endoscopy. And no, believe it or not she’s more loyal to me than to my parents.”

“Well, this isn’t fair, you know. What if I want to talk to someone about you? Who am I gonna tell?”

Sofia shrugs. “Well, you could always talk to Carmen, being that she knows already.”

I laugh at her comment. “Secret confidants don’t work that way. We can’t share the same person. It’s bias.”

“Why not? It’ll make her job easier if she’s getting the scoop from both sides.”

“Hmm. That actually makes a lot of sense,” I say thinking about it. “Maybe I’ll book an appointment with her later,” I joke.

“What are you going to tell her about me?” she asks curiously.

“That I have the sexiest girlfriend in the world to ever wear eyeglasses,” I say touching her nose.

I must have been staring at her too much because she suddenly takes off her glasses as if she’s embarrassed to be seen in them.

“No, don’t,” I tell her softly. “Keep them on.”

She looks at me in confusion, but puts them back on nonetheless. “You like them?”

“I love them,” I tell her.

“You’re crazy, Adrian,” she says laughing.

I shake my head at her. “You’re crazy for not knowing how hot they make you look. I swear you look like every male fantasy right now.”