Chapter 15 - Helpless

Sofia

I walk out of the doctor's office and immediately spot Adrian. He's waiting patiently for me at the reception area, sitting next to an elderly couple. He looks so out of place here. Well, I guess we both do seeing that every other person here is a senior citizen. Just goes to show how weird this whole thing is. Or how much of a mess I am.

He stands up to greet me and gives me a tight hug. "How'd it go, darling?"

"Good, I think. Dr. Kim is seriously awesome. I really liked him. They're going to do some more blood work and I need to schedule an endoscopy with him."

"Endoscopy? Is that the one where they stick a camera down your throat to check your stomach?"

"Yeah," I say grimacing. "I need to talk to the receptionist about it."

He nods and follows me there.

"Um, hi. I need to schedule an endoscopy with Dr. Kim," I tell her.

"Sofia right?" she asks, sorting some files on her desk.

"Yes. Sofia Durant."

"Okay, he does surgeries on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. What day do you prefer?"

"Um, Friday, I guess." That'll give me time to rest during the weekend.

"The procedure involves general anesthesia so you'll need someone to take you home afterwards," she informs me.

I look towards Adrian and he's already agreeing. "Of course, I'll take you."

"It's a pretty quick procedure," the receptionist continues. "It usually lasts 15-20 minutes plus recovery time so the whole thing should take an hour. You'll need to fast that morning and also fill out a form online prior to the appointment with your medical history."

She gives me a pamphlet that has all the information on it and circles the important information before giving it to me.

"The earliest time I have on Friday is 8am. Is that okay?"

I look towards Adrian and he quickly nods at me again. At least if it's at 8am he won't have to miss much school.

"Yes, 8am is fine."

"Okay, I'm putting you in for 8am for this Friday. Just make sure you arrive at least 15 minutes before the procedure. It's also done at a nearby hospital so you'll need to go directly to the address on the pamphlet."

"Will I be able to go to school afterwards?"

"No. You'll be drowsy due to the anesthesia and we don't recommend doing any activity for the rest of the day. That's why it's important you have someone escort you home."

Adrian rubs my back and I can feel the tension there. I don't like the idea of missing school again, but I suppose this is more important. I'm so thankful he insisted on coming with me today, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to schedule this so quickly. Maybe I can ask Nico to take me instead as I don't want to continue bothering him with this stuff and my parents won't be back until next week.

"Are there any side effects after the procedure?" Adrian asks looking worried.

"There can be some cramping afterwards and occasionally people might get a slight fever, but nothing too severe. The main thing is to rest."

"Okay. Anything else you want to ask?" he nudges me.

"No, I think I'm good for now."

"Just call us if anything else comes up. No need to worry though. You'll be in and out before you know it," the receptionist assures me.