~16⟁ journeying forth

A groggy yawn escaped past your lips when you finally awoken from your sleep. Your mind felt fuzzy and tired, much like every limb attached to your body. You groaned at the sudden aches and pains as they became apparent when you tried to stretched. It was then everything from the previous day (or days) came flooding back to your mind, immediately and effectively waking you up.

A sudden tear began to swell up in your eye the longer you stared up at the ceiling, but with a heavy heart you wiped it away. Yesterday there had been enough crying; today forth you were going to be strong for both yourself and your family.

As you pushed your covers back, you shot a glance over to Link. The former ranch hand was no longer snoring, nor were his limbs all tangled in the sheets, instead his back faced towards you with his body well hidden under his blankets.

A gentle smile formed as you recalled his actions from last night when discussing sleeping arrangements. The Hylian had convinced you to sleep in Ilia's bed, claiming the physical reminder may help to settle down your mind into believing she was there; and judging from how well you slept, you would say it did.

Casting a look to the window, you caught the warming glow of sunrise. With a slight pang you knew you had to get up now otherwise daylight would became much too scarce for the unknown journey ahead of you. Quietly you crept out of bed and tiptoed over towards your chest of clothes, knowing full well that you would need something properly suited for the trip ahead of you.

Just as you reach the wooden trunk, your foot catches something. Looking down you're met with the sight of Link's green tunic, something that had been bestowed upon you by Faron. A frown appears on your face at the thought of the spirit, and you shake your head in hopes of ridding it, moving the clothing article out of the way.

You would find answers, with or without a spirits help; answers to the questions you had about your place in this so called battle against the strange growing twilight, and just who you exactly were in all of this.

By the time you had found yourself ready, Link was awaking from his slumber. He greeted you with a yawn—something you returned with a good morning—the effects of yesterday showing through his tired eyes and low, aching whines as he stretched. It was only when he too had changed into his chosen hero garb, and you both were seated at the dining table were any full sentences exchanged between the two of you.

"So... how are you feeling?" Link's voice cut through the air life a knife, swiftly turning your attention onto him and away from your breakfast.

You shot him a small grin, "I'm doing alright, a little battered and sore but hey I still somehow managed to get out of bed," you lightly joked.

Link cracked a small smile, one that disappeared as soon as it came. For a split second you worried whether or not the Hylian's smiles would begin to drift like this in the future; his smiles were something that never failed to show before all of this. Trying to forget the quick change, you focused on the rest of your meal before Bo suddenly walked into the room.

"If my daughter and herd rancher are going out to rescue the others, they're going to need some supplies," the mayor spoke with a gruff voice, dropping a rather large sack onto the table.

Curious, you peered inside only to be meet with the sight of preserved goods ranging from food to medicine to comfort, like small compact blankets. There was even some rupees tucked away. You felt your heart swell and tug with all sorts of emotions.

"Thank you Bo, we are in your dept," Link thanked the burly man. Bo did nothing but laugh, giving the chosen hero a sound slap to his shoulder. You winced at the action as did Link.

"Think nothing of it Link," Bo chuckled, before stroking his moustache. "But if you must insist, compensate with the return of the children."

Both you and Link shared a look before gazing softly at the older man whose stern eyes began to tear up. Link stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll find them," he promised, something that eased the tension out of the mayor. Before you knew it, Bo had both you and Link swept into his arms in a ginormous, crushing hug.

"Make sure you take care of each other out there," he spoke before releasing you. He gave you each a small smile before heading out the door, claiming he needed to check up on everyone to see how they were holding up.

With only Link and yourself occupying the house, a mellow silence took hold of the room. Soon it was broken with the shuffling of you strapping your sword to your waist, making a subtle vow to never take it off again.

You lost someone when it was gone; you would not do it again.

Just as Link reached for the sack you stopped him. "I'll take it," you encouraged, rolling your eyes when the messy haired male moved to disagree. "Hey, you're the better swordsmen out of the two of us; you're going to need more mobility than me if we fight."

"No, (Y/n) I don't mind—"

You smacked his hand away when he reached for the sack. "Nuh-uh, this belongs to me." You slung the stitched bag on before Link could try to steal if from you one more time. You quirked an eyebrow at the displeased Hylian with a small smirk. "Plus how can you wear it if you have a shield?"

Link opened his mouth to retort, but firmly shut it when he could think of nothing. Instead he let out a huff and pushed past you to the door, earning a giggle from yourself as you followed, a sound that made him blush in embarrassment.

The walk out of the village was quiet, the only difference from when you came in was the newly added weight upon your body and the rising sun. The rustling of leaves and grass, along with the morning birds was a comforting sound that accompanied you only once you passed the never ending canyon outside of the village; it was a place you still feared to look down into.

Stomaching you fear, you trailed closer next to Link, ignoring the questioning glance he casted you when your shoulders nearly collided for a third time. Eventually the two of you reached the second spring, however before you could make it through the tunnel Link stopped at the waters edge and bent down.

You opened your mouth to ask him what he was doing, but paused when the sweet melody of horse grass echoed across the spring. In silence the two of you stood, looking around for the noble steed to come running when she heard the song like she usually would.

Nothing happened.

You felt a pit begin to form in the bottom of your stomach. Epona always came when her master called, so either she was too far away or... no, you couldn't think like that. Link frowned and blew the reed again. Nothing.

"Hey, i-it's alright Link." You gently placed a hand upon his shoulder, causing the ashy brown haired male to look up. "We'll find her along with the others, don't worry. This is Epona we're talking about; she always manages to find her way back to you."

You flashed him a reassuring smile. Link's eyes drifted back to the horseshoed shaped grass for a moment before he dropped it and stood up. He turned to face you, his eyes were unreadable to you, however, you knew he was heartbroken from the thought of his missing horse.

"You're right..." he sighed, flashing you a tiny, thankful smile. "Epona's probably fine, we just need to worry about that temple right now."

Curtly you nodded your head in agreement, you grin now bigger than before as you softly patted Link's shoulder once again. The Hylain placed a hand over your own in return, his hand feeling just right on top of yours.