Chapter Forty Three: An Explanation

Slowly, warily, yet instinctively he wrapped me in a tight embrace. My heart was racing as if it was that night back in Canada, which felt like a lifetime ago. I was shaking and crying uncontrollably, the tears falling onto his shirt. I could subsequently feel the thud of his heart too; it was just as fast as mine.

A camera flashed as the wedding photographer snapped an image of us two. I opened my eyes to see Paul looking incredibly relieved- almost as if he was going to faint.

I felt as if I was going to faint.

Daniel was here. He had come ten thousand miles across the globe. Why?

I released him and wiped my eyes for the umpteenth time since leaving Perth. I sniffed a few times before trying to make sense of what was going on. I could see Sara smiling out of the corner of my left eye.

I was trying to think of something to say, but I didn't know how to say what I wanted to.

"Okay?" he breathed, meeting my eyes for the first time. I watched as his pupils dilated- he was not smiling, and he certainly hadn't had a shave since I'd left.

I, in return, widened my features and my shoulders began to shake. Pull yourself together woman, at this rate he was going to be on his way out again! And sharp.

"Sara." I coughed; she was still stood very close to my side. "This is Daniel."
She bowed her head in recognition; of course she knew who he was.

Daniel in return raised a hand before turning back to me.

"Do you want to get some fresh air?" he spoke slowly, trying desperately to read what I was thinking and feeling. If only I knew myself.

"Yeah." I whispered and followed him past everyone. They were all staring again.

Paul lingered and gave Daniel the thumbs up before beginning conversation with one of my uncles, which was incredibly brave of him. Uncle Ben was an avid Red Bull supporter and a fitness freak, meaning Paul would be lucky to escape from him alive.

I walked a few paces behind Daniel, making our way out of the double doors and into the foyer. It was a lot quieter out here and only a few people from the party were around. A few were looking even worse for wear than myself and that was solely down to the amount of alcohol from the free bar they had consumed. Unusually for me I had been on tap water all day- I hadn't felt like drinking anything else.

"I've checked and it's empty in here." he spoke, nodding to the receptionist at the desk. Receptionists were not in my good books by any means. Especially not a certain employee from Milton Keynes.

He opened another door, similar to where we'd just come from and instead of it being a vast function room, it was small and featured a fireplace that had been lit. Typical of England, although summer, it was cold outside not helped by the fact that it was fast growing ten p.m..

I instinctively sat down in one of the arm chairs. My legs weren't going to hold out for much longer. Daniel stood, centimetres in front.

"Why are you here?" I said, breaking for what was silence other than the occasional crackle from the log burner.

"I couldn't let you walk away like that." He paused, "Saskia, I need to explain..."

I nodded, feeling sicker by the second. In reality I just wanted to tear his clothes off and...I blame his shirt for being incredibly tight. Don't even get me started on his trousers.

"Have you come all this way to officially end it with me?" I questioned as the terrifying thought catapulted into my head. I was bloody stupid for not expecting any different.