One Step Down

"Ok, so pain around the injured area and pain while breathing." The doctor said, writing it down on a pad while I pulled my shirt down.

"So what happened to her?" Blake asked impatiently. He stood on my right, his arms crossed and a light scowl in his face. The doctor stood on my left and place her clip board under her arm before taking her glasses off.

"She fractured a rib." She said, glancing between Blake and I. "My guess is the cartilage connecting the floating ribs to the false ribs is what is broken."

"Can you explain that in English, please?" I muttered, looking up at her with a frown. I didn't understand anything she was saying and judging by Blake’s expression, he didn't understand either.

She sighed before getting her pad out and drawing something on it. Once she was done, she turned it around and showed us a rough sketch of what I assumed was the rib cage.

"This," she pointed to the lowest rib, "is called the floating ribs. And here," she pointed to where that rib connected to the rib on top of it, "is the cartilage. This is what may be broken."

"Oh," Blake and I said, understanding her now. She nodded and put the pad back under her arm.

"So what do I do?" I asked.

"Your ribs will heal on their own. All you need to do is apply ice on it when you feel the need to and get some extra rest. For a human, it would take at least six weeks but for you, I'd say a week."

"What if I want to shift?"

"I don't recommend that. When you shift, your bones take a new structure meaning that they will move. It could increase the damage and thus cause you more pain." She explained.

"Ok, thanks." I whispered, looking down at my hands.

"Will that be all, Alpha?" She asked.

"Yes. Ty will escort you back to Chase’s territory." Blake replied. I looked up as the doctor bowed to the both of us and left the room.

"Why doesn't she just stay?" I asked, leaning back onto the wall.

"She's needed to tend to the wounded at Chases. The war was only two days ago." Blake said, closing the door. He turned around and leaned his body against it, sighing as he let his body relax.

We had to wait all day for the doctor to come so now it was much passed sunset. Blake hadn't had rest last night and today he was stressing over getting the doctor here as soon as possible. I wasn't surprised he was tired.

"Why don't you get some rest?" I asked, sinking into the bed.

"Will you be alright?" He asked softly, not objecting to my offer.

"No," I said, nodding my head to my side. I watched his face as it slowly morphed into realisation. He smiled and nodded before coming towards the bed.

~

The sunlight ran through the windows and into our room, making me see red. I opened my eyes slowly, blinking a few times as my eyes adjusted to the blinding light.

I sighed in happiness after having one of the best sleeps in days. Turning around slowly, I began to frown as I felt no one beside me. Sitting up slowly, I searched the room for Blake but realized he wasn't in here.

But sleeping on the floor on Blake’s side was Nate who had used the spare blankets in the house to make a floor bed. Confused about where Blake was and why Nate was here, pushed the blankets off myself and tried to lift myself off the bed.

It was struggle with the pains from my ribs running through my body and the need to stay quiet so I didn't wake Nate up. But I managed to get up, stretching my body as I went. I heard a few bones clicked and cringed at the awful sound of it.