1

I bolt awake in my bed. Panting and sweating profusely, attempting to focus my eyes after the powerful dream or vision I just had, that I've been having for the last 12 months since we arrived at the eastern facility. 

It always began the same a fierce battle to the death but I always woke before I could decipher the outcome

Did we win or lose? I never was able to see.

My naïve heart hoped it meant that it could maybe be prevented, the state of things lately however had squashed that innocently, ignorant sentiment.

I glance around at the sparse sterile atmosphere of the room me and my son have been assigned. It mirrored the one I grew up in. Cold and unwelcoming. It Seemed a lifetime ago I complained about that very thing in my own facility back home.

I look over to my left

He snores silently in his bed near my own. His golden brown hair radiates off the artificial light that filters in through the corridors. 

It had been 6 months since I gave birth to Taylen. It was a hard battle fought but in the end it was worth ever minute. My dad held my hand the whole way. His strength made the pain manageable. 

Taron didn't show. I heard rumors that he was busy caring for Lucinda and their daughter she had birth a few weeks before me. I did not care. I had already accepted that I would be a single parent.

He himself had resigned himself into a relationship with Lucinda in my absence. I was told he assumed I didn't make it. He Lucinda, Zia and Nova had got to the facility weeks before me.

My heart felt a small tinge of pain at the memory of seeing him again and his words

FLASHBACK

"A?" 

I moved to turn to toward the voice

"Taron."

He looked as if he had seen a ghost. His eyes held love and relief 

Happiness fluttered through me like a lit match.

I moved to hug him. but a hand tugging on his arm with possession stilled me

I glanced toward the figure. Lucinda. Of course.

She smiled at me with distaste and a smug smile.

"Babe lets go the baby wants to eat" She said  rubbing her stomach 

Her emphasis on babe let me know she and Taron we now officially a couple

Taron Watched me unflinchingly despite her protests

He removed his arm from her, stepping closer to me

His gaze strayed back and forth between my rounding belly and my face as though he needed the memory.

"I'm glad you're  ok A"

I smiled at him

"Me too I was worried about you" I admitted

"You know I will always love you and I would like to still be with my child, our child"

I watched his sincere gaze feeling terrible. Even though Taron and I were not together and had our problems in the past, he was a dear friend, I wanted our child to know its father.

unfortunately it was not possible. I had a war to prepare for baby or no. Unlike my mother  I would not  leave it behind. Especially in the hands of the devil Taron was currently shackled with.

Taron reached out to caress my belly. His eyes watered with sorrow and reverence. I stood still and allowed him this small comfort.  

I felt Sinik move towards me defensively