3

We ran for miles before we finally stopped to rest. Sinik had lost consciousness a few miles back from the amount of blood loss he was sustaining. Fear infused my heart as I watched his complexion turn ghostly. Fae were extremely pale already, but he looked as though he were knocking on deaths door. My father laid him gently on the ground as he looked around worriedly. No one had followed us as far as I knew, but you could never be too sure.

I set down Taylen beside Sin and kneeled over him assessing his wound. It looked to have gotten worse and his breathing was turning more labored by the minute. This wound wasn't fatal but If Sinik did not get treatment it would be. Problem was we were in the middle of the forest with no medical supplies and no help for miles. 

The dragons lair was 40 miles away. We would never make it in time. We had to do something now. Tears of helplessness strained against my lashes as I watched Sinik groan in pain. I abhorred the useless felling I felt.

My father scooped up Taylen who tried to mischievously crawl away. His hand rested reassured on my shoulder. It was a heavy weight, his hand. Just as the burden of the future on my shoulders had been since I found out who I was and who hunted me.

"Heal him" he whispered

I chocked as I held back a sob. Sinik's blood continued to pour from his wound endlessly

"I cant. we don't have anything" I growled with frustration

I ripped a chunk of my shirt and pressed it over his wound hoping to at least stop the blood flow somewhat

"You can heal him Ayla" my father insisted

I swung my gaze to him in question

He met my eyes boldly as he told me another part of my mothers past I had no knowledge of

"All fae harbor some healing abilities. It is why Sinik is not yet dead. But your mother was gifted more than most. It was one of her many gifts that made her so .......unique". his eyes turned wistful as he spoke

I watched him skeptically. I had never displayed any kind of healing abilities before . Although there was never truly a dire need to do so until now.

Was he right? Did I harbor the same gift as my late mothers? was I a healer? I had the gift of sight as she did so perhaps I did inherit others too. Regardless it did not hurt to try. Sinik had nothing to lose.

"How" I asked determination in my tone

"Your hands. place them over his wound and calm your mind."

I did as he instructed. I slid my eyes shut as I imagined the most peaceful thought I could manage

"Push your warmth and energy into his, until you feel his energy mix and warm from your own"

I was still unsure what he meant but complied anyway, Sinik didn't have much time left.

Mere moments later my body filled with a warmth that spread throughout my entire body tingling and swirling as if it were searching for a release.

I willed it into Sinik and pushed. the previous florescent glow returned, shining brighter than ever. Except the angry red was replaced by a calming turquoise blue color. So vivid it rivaled the hue of the ocean.

It sped rapidly  across my veins beneath my skin, blinding with its intensity. My hands that were pressed against  Sins chest sparked and then searing heat emanated from my hand into his body. The temp should have been scolding, yet it only felt pleasurable. My heart raced and my body came alive for the first time ever. 

This feeling was indescribable. What was this?

The turquoise light flared lighter before it distinguished and Sinik's breathing evened out. A mere moment later his red eyes popped open meeting my own. He held them with a indistinguishable look. I removed my hand and made to stand. His hand shot out and stilled me. He caressed my arm absent mindedly as he watched me.

"Thank you" he murmured. The look in his eyes told me he did not express gratitude often

I gave him a small smile. 

"Of course you saved my life enough times. I figured it was time to return the favor" I joked attempting to lighten he tension his crimson stare had caused

Releasing my arm He sat up slowly. He placed his hand to his chest looking for the wound that was completely healed. It would leave a scar but it was now cauterized. 

"you healed me?" he stared amazement and awe in his voice

"Just like her mother could" my father added his expression of pride and love

"I..I didn't know I could" I said sheeplishly

"All fae can to some degree but your mother.... I remember fae would come from Miles around. there was no one she could turn away and none that she could not heal" Sinik commented

"Yet you did not want her" I spat snarkily.

 I cringed as soon as the word fled my mouth. I did not know why I said them. I remember my visit in the past and how he betrayed my grandfather with his affair. I oddly felt more loyalty to my unknown mother than my unknown grandmother. Perhaps because she seemed caring and helpful and my grandmother only seemed selfish. 

I knew neither enough to make those assumptions. But based on those assumptions I couldn't help but feel annoyed.

Did he think a deceitful, cheating whore of a woman, twice his age was better than my mother. If Everyone vowed she was so amazing why did he not want her?

Sinik broke my glaring gaze. Shifting them to the ground near his feet. 

"I loved another" he confessed 

Yes I remember. I though bitterly

My father stood holding Taylen who had fallen asleep in his arms. He looked uncomfortable as he shifted Taylen in his arms

I instantly winced remembering that the woman betrothed to Sinik was his beloved.

Damn! we were a messy trio of scandal and intertwined  pasts

"We need to make camp for the night Sinik may be healed but he needs more rest if we are to continue in the morning"  my father interjected my thoughts as he handed me a snoring Taylen

"I will gather firewood".

 He stalked off into the woods. I had not doubt he simply wanted time alone. Speaking of my mother bothered him. I knew he truly never got over her. he merely swept his desire for her under the rug. Now it was out on display and he struggled.

Sin shifted attempting to get more comfortable. I sat waiting for my father to reappear, lost in thought. I was learning new abilities every day and I was determined to master them. Sinik would help me and I was eager. The betrayal of Murkan was still fresh and the knowledge my friends were all in danger fueled me like I never imagined.

We needed to reach Kizan and his people. Let them know what had transpired. And once I was a well trained killing machine, we would prepare ourselves for war......................................

What do you think Ayla will find at the Dragon territory?

Comment 

Vote

Share

Thanks for Reading!