(Chapter 5)

Blond finally moved away, giving me a look that clearly said, “Stay away from him”. Oh, so Blondie was going for Max too? What’s Cheerleader going to say?

I sat in my place, and glanced up at Max, who was steadily ignoring me. He must be taking the rejection bad. I would, if I were him. We were both players, the type who got whoever we wanted – there was no one in the world that could resist us.

But do players fall for players? No, players fall for innocent little girls. I guess if I want to win this bet, I have to become that girl.

“Max…?” I asked, my voice timid. Damn it, I was going to have to go all out. “Are you mad at me?”

He looked at me, kind of shocked, but didn’t reply.

“Whatever I did, I’m sorry. Will you…forgive me?” Cue fake tears.

“I…Of course,” he said, looking really surprised now. It wasn’t like I was actually crying (I’m not that amazing), but I knew I had that about-to-burst-into-tears look on my face. “It wasn’t you. I just…I…”

Then he changed from spaz attack to cool, slick and confident. He thought he was back in control, after he made me “jealous” by using Blondie. That was a good move, but not enough to make me fold. I haven’t lost the game before, and I’m not going to lose it now.

“I’m sorry,” he said, reaching over, and pressing his palm against my cheek. I had to admit that was good. Damn his pheromones. “I won’t do that to you again. Okay?”

I nodded shyly, looking down, then up into his eyes, while trying to ignore the death-glares from all the girls around me (including Blondie). I bit my lip, and he pressed his lips against my forehead. Yep, he definitely thought he was in control.

He was so wrong.

***

“Hey Ollie!” I yelled, and she looked up from her locker – it was only a couple from mine. “You want to hang out with Tom today?”

She stared at me, gaping like an idiot.

“What…how?” she stuttered, her eyes wide. Then she got over all that. “Where?”

“Max’s house. He invited me over for the History project, and he told me to bring a couple girls for his friends.”

“Oh-my-god-I-love-you-so-much!” Ollie screamed, giving me a hug. “You’re so awesome! I can’t believe you picked me!” Then she went into the oh-my-god-what-should-I-wear mode that almost every girl went through before a major date with a crush. I smiled sardonically, mentally reminding myself to bring a couple spare dresses for Ollie to try out – like I could let her wear her own clothes.

We had Gym next – a totally unnecessary torture, that if I were in a private school, I would not have to go through. It was something I wouldn’t normally put myself through, this high school was my last chance. I was explaining to Ollie after we were changed (into yucky green shorts and t-shirt) and were in the crumbling brick gym, about how private schools were way better.

“You went to a private school?” a guy’s voice said behind me.

“Uh huh,” I said, smiling at Carter. He grinned back, and waved at Ollie, who blushed and moved away. “I’ve been to four.”

“Four?! You were expelled from all of them?”

“Yep.”

“For what?”

I started ticking the schools off my manicured fingers, trying to remember. God, it’s tiring trying to keep track of all your crimes.

“First school, I was kicked out for stealing the Principal’s car and driving it off a cliff. Total misunderstanding, by the way. I thought it was my friend’s car. The second school was a boarding school, and they expelled me for being in the guy’s dorm, with alcohol. Okay, I admit that one was kind of deserved – we were all butt naked when they found us.”