(Chapter 18)

$ Kyle $

I entered the kitchen, and could immediately smell alcohol. Alexis.

I ran to her unconscious body. Her face was bruised from yesterday. She’d obviously not bothered to get herself checked out. Typical Alexis. I checked the bottle she still had clutched in her hand. Vodka. It was half-empty. Shit. That wasn’t good.

Alexis moaned, and shifted, her eye lids fluttering.

“Max,” she murmured.

You’re stupid, Alexis. You are a dumb, egotistic, self-centred loser, with familial issues. You’re an idiot. The opposite of heaven. You are the devil.

But when I picked her up, I was gentle, cradling her thin body in my arms. She stretched, and gently snuggled closer to my chest. I fought off the urge to just stand there for a minute, and enjoy the feeling.

I carried her up the stairs, trying to keep her body as far away from mine as possible, and nudged her door open. It revealed a big, messy room – totally Alexis. She always had this talent to somehow make her room a total hovel, despite the fact that maids cleaned it everyday.

I lay her gently down onto the bed, slowly pulling the covers up over her body. She snored gently, curling up into the little ball she always slept in. I smoothed some of the creases of her duvet, watched her sleep for a while.

What had gotten her to drink again? Solitary drinking had never been her style – it’d always been at parties, with friends. Something had gotten her angry again. Something made her snap. She’d been so good, since she came here…something definitely must have happened.

It was Carter, right?

That dirty bastard. I didn’t think he would actually do that, not to his friend. Max had been his friend, right?

My eyes strayed back to Alexis’ face. She was sleeping so peacefully now. Everything had been erased from her face, all the bitterness, mock confidence, and sarcasm. She was the Alexis. The Alexis, before I met her.

My finger reached over, to brush her fact. She flinched in her sleep, and I stopped myself, an inch away from the soft skin of her cheek.

No.

***

+Alexis+

I woke up, with my head pounding. I patting the ground, and frowned, when it was a little bit too soft. Wait…I was warm. How was that possible? How was I…?

I sat up, and my duvet fell off me. I blinked, and squinted in the light.

“Crap,” I muttered, pulling my duvet on my head again. Whoever invented sunlight was a sadistic son-of-a-bitch.

“Miss Alexis?”

“Go away! I’m not going to school today!”

“Miss Alexis?!” she yelled, and I covered my ears. My head felt like it was about to burst. Shit. This was a hangover…but how…? You only got hangovers after you were drunk (clever, Alexis), right? So…

Then it all came back to me.

Shit. I’m definitely not going to school today.

I heard my maid yell for Kyle, and squeezed my eyes closed, hard. I’d forgotten how much hangovers sucked. I’m never drinking again.

There was silence for a while, and then I felt a gentle tugging on my duvet.

“Go away, Kyle. I’m not in the mood to fight with you.”