(Chapter 16)

“Write this out.”

I looked at the sentence written on the sheet of paper.

I will not cause fights.

I scowled. “Uh, sir? This sentence is unjustified. I didn’t cause the fight, and –”

He glared at me. “Shut up, and get your pen out, or I’ll make everyone stay longer.”

All the other delinquents glared at me as well. I glared back at them, until they looked away. I could practically smell their hate.

I will not cause fights. I will not cause fights. I will not –

My pencil snapped.

“Shit,” I muttered. I opened my pencil case, and shifted through fifteen broken biros and pencil sharpenings. Crap.

I turned around, and faced Carter.

“Can I borrow a pen?” I whispered. He looked up, surprised, and flushed red. His fingers shook as he unzipped his pencil case.

“What are you doing?” the teacher yelled.

I spun around, and held up Carter’s pencil. “Borrowing a pen,” I said, innocently.

“Alexis, don’t think just because you have a good family you can get whatever you want,” he snapped. “You better be good from now on.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Haven’t I been good?”

He glared at me. “You know what I mean.”

“Right.”

***

I slammed Kyle into the wall.

“I got detention today,” I hissed. “You know that, right?”

He laughed. “How was it?”

“Awful. But that’s not the point. Did you also tell Carter to blackmail me?”

He smirked. “Maybe?”

I grabbed him by the front of his shirt. “We need to sort this out, Kyle. This is our business. Don’t involve anyone else, okay?”

“What do you want to do, then?” Kyle whispered.

“Duel. I win, you leave me alone. You win, I will do whatever you want. Deal?”

“Sure,” he said, smirking. He prised my fingers away from his shirt. “After school tomorrow.”

“Yep.”

I could do this. I could so beat him. I’d beaten him so many times when we were going out. I had to do this.

*** Next Day ***

“Alexis,” Carter said, pulling me into a cupboard. “I need to talk to you.”

I smirked. “Go on.”

I could hear a rush of people, chatting and talking, passing by our cupboard. Was one of them Max? He’d come back to school, but I haven’t seen him yet.

Carter suddenly shoved me against a mop, and kissed me.

I pushed him away immediately, rubbing my mouth. That was…revolting. That was…disgusting. It was completely the opposite of what kissing Max was like. Kissing Carter was…

I pulled him closer, and kissed him again.

Nope. Still gross.

I pushed him away, running my fingers through my hair. Oh my god. I…can’t be.