(Chapter 14)

I spun around, slamming a foot into the guy behind me. He collapsed into a ball in the floor, and I grabbed him by his neck.

“Who are you?”

He looked up, and even in the darkness I recognized his face.

“Let…go…” Kyle choked.

I smirked. “Why would I do that, when I have you exactly where I want you?”

“You…still know you to…fight.”

“Of course I do. It’s useful when you want to stop a guy who’s trying to wreck your life.”

Even though he was probably running out of air, he managed to laugh. “What about my brother, Alexis? Don’t you feel just a tiny bit of remorse for what you did?”

“Do you feel sorry for what you did?”

He closed his eyes.

“See, Kyle. You don’t feel anything. To you, this is just like a game. I’m not playing any more, so you can just find someone else. I have what I want.”

“Is it Max?”

He surprised me so much, I automatically loosened.

“No…what are you talking about?”

“You’re playing him, right? He must mean nothing to you. That’s why you slept with Carter.”

I opened my mouth, about to say “No”. But why would I say that? I am playing him!

“Yes.”

Kyle’s eyes were satisfied. “Then you’re still in the game. And as long as you’re in the game, I’ll be in the game as well – and I’ll make sure you lose, every single time.”

He pulled away.

“Oh, and by the way,” he added, his fingers on the doorknob, “you might get a call from your Dad later. Just a heads up.”

***

“No, Dad. I didn’t! Kyle’s lying! You can’t blame me, that nun had it in for me, and I can’t –”

“You can kiss your Ferrari goodbye!” my Dad yelled down the phone, before hanging up.

Nice guy.

“Shit,” I muttered. I stormed up the stairs, and slammed Kyle’s door open. Kyle was lying on his bed, flicking through some magazine.

“What the hell is your problem?!” I screamed. “Why did you tell my Dad?!”

“To help my new friend,” Kyle said, smirking. He glanced up. “Carter. You know him, right? He was telling me, today, about how he really liked you, but you were dating someone else. He also mentioned how he could get your beloved Max kicked off the team – but your family has too much influence, or something.”

He smirked.

“Now, it looks like your Dad won’t do any more favours for you. Before, you’ve been playing the game with a safety net. See how you do, without your Dad to help you clear things up for you.”

I ground my teeth. “You –”

He raised his eyebrows. “Yes?”

I glared at him, but I had nothing to say.

***

“Get up, Miss Alexis.”

“NO! I’m not going to school today!” I yelled, pulling the duvet over my head.