chapter five

The rest of the summer passed quickly with the Weasley's. Every day was a new adventure, including today. We were going to Diagon Alley and meeting up with Hermione and her parents, who were Muggles.

Once we found Hermione, we walked to Flourish and Blotts, the bookstore. Hogwarts had needed a new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor since Quirrell was dead, and the school had hired a guy named Gilderoy Lockhart. The new professor was supposed to be at the bookstore, and we all needed new books.

Harry and I were walking into the store to find our second-year books when a tall man with bright, blond hair and blue eyes walked up behind us and said, "Let me guess, the Potter twins?"

We turned around, for once not surprised for the attention. "Yes, sir."

"May I see your scars?"

I looked at Harry, who lifted up his bangs to show him the scar. I followed, picking up the hair on my neck to present my scar. I then put my hair back and waited for the blond man to speak again.

"Oh, how rude of me! I didn't introduce myself. I am Gilderoy Lockhart. The new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor! Now, you can get your free books and have them signed by me!" he said. His attitude was starting to get on my nerves.

He walked towards a booth, grabbed our books from our hands, and began signing them. "Don't worry," he said after handing them back to us. "I'll cover the price of them. Now, smile for the press!"

I turned around, immediately faced with cameras in front of me. I plastered a smile on my face and stood for a few pictures before thanking the new professor and leaving quickly, Harry close behind me.

The cameramen tried following us, so we had to find a place to hide. I noticed a stairwell and ran up it.

Instantly, a cold voice made me regret that decision right away.

"Bet you loved that, didn't you, Potter?" Malfoy said with a nasty smirk. "Harry and Y/n Potter, can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page!"

"Leave them alone, they didn't want all that!" Ginny said, coming from behind us to stand in front of Harry.

"Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!" drawled Malfoy. Ginny blushed, and Ron and Hermione pushed their way over to us.

"Oh, it's you. Bet you were surprised to see Harry here, eh?" Ron added, attempting to joke around.

"Not as surprised as I am to see you in a shop, Weasley," retorted Malfoy. "I suppose your parents will go hungry for a month to pay for all of those."

Ron went as red as Ginny. He put his books in his cauldron, just like Ginny had.

"Cut it out, Malfoy. What do you have against us?" I said, genuinely curious. I got no answer.

Mr Weasley came up behind us, trying to take us somewhere else, but a voice stopped him.

"Arthur Weasley."

A tall man walked up behind Malfoy. The two had a striking resemblance, meaning that the man had to be Malfoy's dad, Lucius.

He looked down at Ginny, and picked up a book from the cauldron she was holding. She tried protesting, but paused when he only staring at it.

"Really, Arthur?" Lucius said, placing the book back in Ginny's cauldron. "Second-hand robes and tattered books? Still can't afford the best for your wonderful children?"

Mr Weasley turned to argue, but stopped. I looked over to Malfoy quickly before walking away with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

As we were descending the stairs again, Star ran up to me. "Hey, Y/n!" she said happily, giving me a fast hug.