chapter twenty-six

Despite my brother's intense hatred for me, telling Umbridge about Dumbledore's Army was beneficial. A week after the Headmaster disappeared, Umbridge announced herself his replacement, and appointed me and Draco as her assistants. We were allowed to be in her office without her as long as we had permission and we practically took control over the Inquisitorial Squad. Umbridge trusted us, and that was exactly what I needed.

~~~

As soon as May came, every single minute of my free time went to studying for the O.W.L.s, unless I was sleeping. When it was finally time to take the O.W.L.s, I was terrified.

About an hour into the test, a low roar came from the hallway near the classroom. At once, everyone put down their quills to try to figure out what the sound was, but we didn't need to.

I shot up from my desk as a giant, orange dragon slammed open the doors and flew into the room. The dragon was made of lights, so it wasn't real, but Umbridge still ran.

"Continue your exams," she screeched as she ran out into the hall. Star appeared next to me, and we followed Umbridge with the other students.

Fred and George Weasley ran down the corridor, setting off fireworks and small bombs. Explosions and popping sounds echoed in the hall, almost covered by the sound of students rushing out of their classrooms and outside. The twins jumped on their brooms, flying high above the crowd and shooting more fireworks over their heads.

We all gathered outside in the main courtyard, clapping as the twins flew away from the Hogwarts castle. Professor Umbridge screamed at them, but they didn't react.

As the commotion continued, my vision blurred as the scar on the back of my neck flared with pain. I gripped my neck, putting my hand on Star's shoulder for balance as dizziness replaced my thoughts.

When I opened my eyes, I was in a black corridor, the same one from my dreams. I was walking quickly, and then my hands, long and pale, were on the door that I had been trying to reach for so long. I pulled open the door and looked inside. It was dark, filled with rows and rows of illuminated orbs varying in size.

I looked up and saw an orb that read "The Potter Twins." Was that actually for me? What was I doing in a vault like this?

Suddenly, Sirius appeared in front of me, standing angrily. 

"Grab the prophecies now, or must I make you?" a voice said. Startled, I realised that it was coming from me.

"You'll have to kill me first," Sirius answered, glaring at me.

"Oh, I will. Now, grab them and give them to me."

"No."

"Maybe the Cruciatus Curse will change your mind?"

"No."

"Crucio!"

Sirius doubled over, writhing in pain as the curse, coming from a wand I was holding, attacked him. I closed my eyes.

As soon as my vision set in again, I realised that I was still in the Hogwarts courtyard, Star shaking me violently.

"Y/n! Are you okay?"

"I need to talk to Harry," I said quickly, trying to walk away.

Star grabbed me. "Why?"

"Someone's in trouble," I answered, voice still filled with urgency. Why didn't Star sense that? "Please. Where is he?"

"He's standing over there with Granger and Weasley," Star responded. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"I don't want you to get in trouble." I began running towards Harry.

When he saw me, he glared at me, but he let me talk.

"Did you see Sirius?"

"Yes."

"We need to talk to him," I said. "Come with me, I know where we can go."

"Why should I trust you?"

"It's either that, or Voldemort kills Sirius!" I hissed, dragging him, Hermione, and Ron into the castle.

Eventually, they walked with the same urgency I felt, and we reached Umbridge's office quickly. I pulled the key from my pocket and unlocked the door.

"How did you get a key to her office?" Ron asked as we walked in.

"Uh," I said, hesitating, "I guess she really trusted me after I told her about the D.A."

"Oh, yeah," Hermione growled.

Harry ignored us and grabbed a handful of floo powder. He threw it in the fireplace, yelled Sirius's address, and stuck his head in the green flames.

"Kreacher! Is Sirius there?"

"No, he just left," the House-elf at Grimmauld Place answered.

Harry left the fireplace and extinguished the flames quickly. He stood up as the door opened, revealing Professor Umbridge and a few Inquisitorial Squad members.

"Ah, Mr Potter. Always breaking the rules."

"Here are the last of them," Draco said. He walked in with Pansy, Crabbe, and Goyle, each holding a student from Dumbledore's Army. I sighed and whispered an apology to Harry, as well as the students who were being held by the four Slytherins. I looked at Luna, Neville, Ginny, and Star, and guilt flooded over me.

"We've got Potter's helpers!" Crabbe said triumphantly.

Umbridge grabbed Harry and shoved him into a chair before turning to Ron and Hermione. She scolded them slightly, and then shoved them over to Crabbe and Goyle, who grabbed them quickly. Umbridge then turned to me.

"I always had a thought that you would somehow betray me, Miss Potter. Even then, I shoved that worry away to try to help you. This is how you repay me? By breaking into my office and helping your brother? I expected better from you, Miss Potter."

I scoffed, resisting the urge to laugh, but Umbridge pushed me over to Draco, who wrapped his arm around me in a way that could be equally threatening and comforting. Even though I knew he was holding me for Umbridge, I still felt safe in his arms.

"Where is it?" Umbridge screeched, making me wince from the sudden noise. Draco felt it and tightened his grip around me.

"Where is what?" Harry repeated.

"Dumbledore's weapon!"

"What weapon?"

"Maybe the Cruciatus Curse might bring back your memory?"

"No! That's illegal!" Hermione yelled, trying to get out of Crabbe's grasp.

"What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him."

"Wait! I'll show you!" Hermione offered.

"You will show me the weapon?"

"Yes!"

"Crabbe, let her go. Now show me."

Crabbe obliged and Hermione walked with Harry and Umbridge out the door.

"Hey, Y/n, want some candy?" Ron asked, holding out some of the Puking Pastilles made by Fred and George.

"Oh, sure!" I said, taking one while realizing his plan.

"Hey! Give us some!" Goyle demanded.

"Oh, uh, okay," Ron faked.

Ron handed one to Pansy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco. I tried to look at Draco and tell him to not eat it, but he had already shoved it in his mouth by the time I got his attention.

Malfoy started gagging and let go of me, bending over. Soon, we were all let go and the Inquisitorial Squad was left in the office, puking their guts out.