chapter eighteen

I walked down one of the long halls in the castle, my Prefect batch pinned onto my robes visible to anyone. Since it was still just the first day back at Hogwarts, I doubted that anyone would be out of bed or breaking rules already.

I shivered. The dark halls of the dungeons were always chilly, thanks to the stone. The dungeons were also close to the Black Lake, like the Slytherin area, so that added to the lack of heat. My teeth began to chatter and I rubbed my arms for warmth.

"Do you want a jacket?"

I turned around to face the source of the voice. I came face-to-face with Draco, who was holding out a winter coat. He wrapped it around my shoulders when I nodded, though I said nothing else to him.

He sped up to face me. "I'm really sorry for earlier," he said, voice sincere. "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. You might be a Potter but that doesn't make you any less than me." He paused as we continued walking.

I looked at Draco, trying to stay mad. His sad eyes and sadder frown made me feel bad for feeling that way. I watched any last bit of hope in his eyes fade away as I remained silent.

"I-I'll even try to get along with Harry," he added sadly, voice shaking. "I feel so bad for snapping at you like that earlier, I should have watched my words."

We continued walking. My shivering had stopped, and all I could hear was the clicking off our shoes on the stone floors.

I turned to Draco again. His mouth was closed tightly, and his eyes were sparkling with tears. Was he truly upset about this?

"I," he started, tears falling softly onto his face, "I don't want to lose you."

He didn't want to lose me?

I stopped walking. Turning to face him, I smiled softly and hugged him. He melted into the hug, wrapping his arms around me gently.

"I forgive you," I whispered. "Thank you for apologising."

He hadn't even raised his voice at me, yet he still felt the need to apologise. Unlike Harry, who had flat-out screamed just because he couldn't control his temper. My own brother never said sorry for that.

Now, there I stood, embracing Draco. We held on for a few moments, waiting for the other to exit the hug. He eventually let go and spoke. "Thank you, Y/n. That means a lot." He wiped away his tears and smiled. "I'm sorry again, though. I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"It's okay, Draco. I do want you to try to get along with Harry, though. Actually," I paused, "only if the need comes up. I don't think Harry wants to talk to me anymore."

"What? Why?"

I briefly explained what Harry had said earlier on the train.

"Do you want me to talk to him?" Draco asked. "I can try."

"No, it's okay," I answered, chuckling quietly. "Thank you though. I'm not sure how well Harry would listen to either of us."

"That's true."

I opened my mouth to speak, but another voice cut us off.

"Hey, lovebirds, it's time for you to get back to your dorms," said a sixth-year Prefect. "I can take it from here."

~~~

"Class, put your wands away and quills out," Umbridge, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, said, her smile so fake and sinister you would think, by that alone, she shouldn't be allowed near children.

"But, Professor, we always use our wands in Defense Against the Dark Arts," Hermione said, her hand shooting up.

"No, in this class we will prepare for you O. W. L.s," the teacher answered, saying each letter individually. "Owls. We will not be using magic."

There was an outburst of students complaining. What was the point of a Defense Against the Dark Arts class if we weren't going to learn how to defend ourselves?

"We need to be prepared for what's out there!" Harry shouted.

"There is nothing out there, Mr Potter."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children your age?"

"Hmm, let's think," Harry said in a mocking tone, "maybe Lord Voldemort?"

Shock filled the room as he was bold enough to pronounce the name.

"Ten points from Gryffindor," Umbridge responded. "You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead--"

"He wasn't dead, but yeah, he's returned!" Harry interrupted angrily. .

"As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large again. This is a lie."

"It is NOT a lie!" Harry yelled. "I saw him, I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr Potter!" said Umbridge, her tone a mix of both anger and happiness. "Tomorrow evening. Five o'clock. My office."

Harry stood up, fuming. "So, according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"

A clearly-fake smile appeared on Umbridge's toad-like face.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident," she said coldly.

"It was murder," I whispered. I could feel myself shaking. "Voldemort killed him, and you know it."

"Ten points from Slytherin, Miss Potter. I heard that," Umbridge retorted, pausing to face my brother again. "Come here, Mr Potter."

Harry strode over to where her desk was. She pulled out a piece of pink parchment and scribbled quickly. It was silent in the classroom except for her quill's scratching noise.

"Take this to Professor McGonagall, dear," said Umbridge, handing the note to Harry. He stomped out, brows furrowed.

I turned to Star and shook my head. This was going to be a long year.

~~~

Hermione and Ron approached me one night as I was leaving the Great Hall. Harry did not accompany them, but Hermione looked nervous.

"Hey, Y/n, Ron and I were talking. We think it would be beneficial if you helped to teach a group of students how to defend themselves. You and Harry would be teaching together. I understand if you don't want to, but I've already arranged everything. We're going to meet in the Hog's Head in Hogsmeade the next time we go. Feel free to join us if you'd like," Hermione explained.

"I-I'm not sure, guys. I don't think Harry would want me there, and would I be a good teacher?"

"Of course!" Ron answered.

"I'll think about it," I finally said.