chapter thirty-one

Once again, I fell into a routine. I would wake up and eat breakfast with Draco and Star, go to my classes, and then do homework in the common room. We ate dinner in the evening and slept afterwards.

Each day was similar to the others, varying only in the topic discussed in class or what happened after dinner. Most of the time I was stuck in the common room, working on extra assignments I hadn't finished or helping Draco study. Sometimes, though, he would go to Professor Snape to work on Defense Against the Dark Arts spells and I would hang out with Star.

There was one evening, a cold Thursday night in September, where Draco was going to Snape's office to practise. I came to a decision that I could use assistance as well, and asked if I could come with him.

Expecting a quick, "Of course," as an answer, I was surprised when Draco simply shook his head to say no and left the common room.

Instead of sulking about his response, I set off to find Star and ask if she had an interest in studying with me. I looked everywhere: our dormitory, the common room, even all of our professor's classrooms and offices. When I couldn't find her anywhere, worry began to settle in my gut, clenching itself around my thoughts. I made my way back to the Slytherin area once again, returning to my starting point with nothing but wasted time and sore feet.

I sat myself on the couch, thinking about her possible location. Maybe she was with Draco, I thought quietly. No, I checked Snape's office. She wasn't in there.

My thoughts paused for a moment. Hadn't Draco told me that he was going to practise spells with Snape in his office?

I began to panic. Had they lied to me? Were they okay? What if they just didn't want to be around me? What did I do?

My head jerked toward the entrance as the painting-covered door swung open to let a few Slytherins into the common room. I watched their eyes go wide in shock as a group of merfolk swam past the window, but in that second, an idea came to me and I shoved past the students, still standing in the doorway.

Once I was out in the hall, I put my feeble plan into motion, starting by walking to Professor Snape's new office on the third floor. Upon arrival, I gathered up the courage to knock and walked in at his approval.

"Professor, have you, by any chance, seen Star or Draco?"

"The Malfoy twins?" Snape said, confusion flashing onto his face. A short moment passed and his bafflement was gone as quickly as it had arrived.

"Yes, Sir. Draco said that he was coming to you to study. Star didn't say anything, but I haven't seen her, so I assumed that she was with her brother."

Standing tall in front of his desk, I waited quietly as Snape thought.

"Yes, Miss Potter. The Malfoy twins were here not too long ago. In fact, they left shortly before your arrival," Snape said calmly.

"Thank you, Sir." I exited the office and began making my way back to the Slytherin Housing area, head swirling in thoughts. Had I just not seen them when I walked around the first time? Why did Snape have to think for so long before answering, almost like he didn't remember?

I shook off my thoughts and slowed down, walking at less of a pace so I didn't appear to be in a rush. I touched my robes, feeling for the small emblem that announced that I was a Prefect. I at least had something to keep me from serious trouble for being out at night.

Noticing a stairwell coming up in the wide hallway, I slowed, almost stoping completely to think. Should I go up the stairs? There was no point to it, but I would be walking the school and doing my Prefect duties, so I decided that there was no point in not.