chapter thirty-three

Draco and Star had told me that their work, whatever it was, was dangerous; However, I didn't think it was that serious. How could they do something that could harm anyone?

My question was answered the next week.

I was walking down the pathway with the Malfoy twins, on our way to Hogsmeade. After a long morning of looking at the same shops we visited every time, we stopped in the Three Broomsticks for a break and some butterbeer.

I ordered the drinks and paid, then we sat down at a table in the crowded diner. I tried striking up a conversation, but it didn't work very well. Draco and Star both gave quick, half-hearted responses, glancing at each other every few seconds and looking around.

I lowered my voice so people around us wouldn't hear. "Is something going on?"

They looked at each other again, communicating silently. Eventually, the best answer I got was a very quiet,"It's something for You-Know-Who" from Star.

Despite the fact that I wished to know more, I nodded, understanding the need for secrecy.

After a few more minutes in the Three Broomsticks, Draco stood up and walked over to the bar, holding a small package in his hands. He said something to Madam Rosmerta, the bartender, and she grabbed the parcel and walked over to the bathrooms in the corner of the restaurant.

Draco came back to sit with us, watching. A Gryffindor walked out of the restroom, only to be stopped by Madam Rosmerta. She pushed the package into the student's hands, whispered a few instructions, and walked away. The Gryffindor turned to her friend, confused but giddy, and walked out of the Three Broomsticks.

As soon as the door closed, Draco and Star stood up to follow. I joined them quickly, curious of what was going to happen.

"Hurry, Leanne!" the Gryffindor cried. "I have to bring this to Professor Dumbledore."

Confused, I looked at Draco in hopes of getting an explanation, but he only shook his head. He did, however, slow down so that he could walk next to me instead of in front of me with his sister.

"Don't open it! You said it was a gift!" Leanne warned.

The Gryffindor chose to ignore her friend, unwrapping the package quickly. I saw Draco and Star cast each other worried looks; this wasn't supposed to happen.

The brown-haired girl opened the package completely and pulled out a necklace with a large opal on it. She began to admire it, but she was suddenly lifted into the air, letting out a high-pitched screech.

Draco cursed under his breath.

The girl's noise alerted many people in the area. Hagrid ran forward to catch her, and then he took her back to Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall came over to pick up the necklace, using its wrapping to pick it up. Harry, Ron, and Hermione also joined us, whispering excitedly and glancing at me, Draco, and Star.

"Potter!" McGonagall yelled, but to which sibling, I didn't know. When Harry and I were both near her, she carefully handed us the paper-wrapped necklace. "Take this to Snape in the castle." She paused to look around. "Malfoys! Accompany them."

Harry took the necklace and I moved closer to Draco, glancing back at my brother only to see him glaring daggers at me. I guess he was still mad that I left him on the train after Draco broke his nose.

To take my mind off of things, I turned to Draco. He seemed nervous, eyes darting back and forth and his hands fidgeting with one another. I grabbed one of his hands, hoping to calm him down, and I listened as he took a deep breath.

"She was cursed," Hermione whispered to Ron.

"I bet it was Malfoy," he added.

I turned around to glare at Ron. He saw me and glanced at my hand entwined with Draco's; Ron rolled his eyes.

"I'll go get Snape," Harry announced. "Can you guys go to the Hospital Wing to check on Katie?"

It took me a moment to realise that he was referring to the Gryffindor. I nodded and walked away with Star and Draco.

We walked into the Hospital Wing, looking around for a student with Gryffindor robes and brown hair. When I saw her, I approached her, careful not to touch her in case her curse was infectious.

Soon, Snape walked in with the Golden Trio. "What happened?" he demanded.

"Katie was cursed by this necklace," Harry answered.

"She'll need to go to St Mungo's, the Wizarding hospital," Snape stated after a moment of observation. "Luckily, she only touched it. If she had put the necklace in, she'd be dead." He then turned to look at me. "What, may I ask, are you three doing in here?"

I spoke up to cover for Draco and Star. "We were witnesses. Professor McGonagall asked us to accompany Harry to the castle."

Snape seemed somewhat pleased with this answer, but he sent a glare at Draco, livid.

"Does this mean we can go now?" Star asked impatiently.

"Yes."

Draco and I followed her out of the Hospital Wing. As we made our way through the halls to enter the Slytherin House area, I pulled them to the side to interrogate them about the necklace.

"I know that you two had something to do with what just happened," I said, "so can i please know?"

Draco and Star sighed in unison, looking at each other.

"We were testing spells and curses for Him. We didn't know it would go this far," Draco answered.

"Instead of asking further questions, I nodded, accepting the answer.

"We told you that this would be dangerous," Star said.

I believed them after that.