chapter fifteen

I whimpered from the pain screaming through me. It felt like a hot iron being held against my neck, hurting me so much that I could barely see or hear. It lasted for minutes, scarring me without mercy. When the pain finally started to slow down, I turned to Harry. He looked terrified and tired.

People in long black cloaks began appearing around the graveyard: Death Eaters. They surrounded Voldemort, praising him and congratulating him on his return.

"Don't pretend to care," he screamed. "Only Wormtail continued to search for me when I disappeared all those years ago!" Some Death Eaters tried to argue, but Voldemort silenced them. "Today, to celebrate my return, I have a very special gift for you. Harry and Y/n Potter's death!"

Cheers echoed through the graveyard. The bar and chains disappeared, letting me and Harry stand and use our hands again. We instantly reached for our wands, ready to fight. I glared at Voldemort.

"Don't get too hasty," Voldemort teased. "We shall have a proper duel."

I turned to Harry, confused.

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort screamed.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry and I countered. The spells connected, creating a bright flash of light. Our magic continued reacting, slowly forming a yellow barrier around us. Faces of the deceased began appearing, but we ignored them as we shot the spell further at Voldemort.

There was an explosion, knocking us all to the ground. I stood up quickly, rushing Harry to his feet so that we could escape. We ran towards the Triwizard cup, which was laying on its side thirty feet away. Our hands touched the golden cup and we were transported back to the maze.

I fell to the ground, coughing and sputtering as the pain disappeared completely. I noticed Cedric's lifeless body lying in between me and Harry.

"Can you help me with him?" Harry asked quietly. I nodded, silently standing back up. We heard cheers increase in volume as we made our way through the maze. Once we exited completely, the audience went wild, screaming and cheering with joy.

The announcer began talking, but stopped because of the teachers as they rushed to us.

"What in the heavens happened?" Madam Hooch said, touching Cedric's cold, blue face.

"Lord Voldemort," I coughed, "he's back."

I watched the professor's faces go white, like they had just seen a ghost. Maybe they had.

The audience quieted. A wizard with features similar to Cedric ran onto the field to see us. "Is this my son?"

I nodded solemnly. "I'm so sorry, Mr Diggory," I said. "The Dark Lord had killed him before we could do anything."

His eyes began filling with tears, and the professors rushed over to talk to him. They took Cedric's body and Harry and I were taken to the Hospital Wing.

"Y/n!" Star screeched, running after me, Draco close behind her. "Are you okay? What happened?"

Madam Pomfrey led me to a cot as I summarised things for Star. By the end, I was crying, and my arm had been healed already.

~~~

Soon, a week had passed, and it was the last day of this year at Hogwarts. I dreaded going back to the Dursleys already.

I was walking with Star to go to the train when Harry pulled me over.

"I know this year was really rough on our friendship, but if you couldn't tell, there's no way we can avoid each other forever. Can we at least try to be okay with each other?"

I smiled. "Of course."

"Thank you, Y/n. I'll see you later." Harry dashed off and I turned to Star.

She grinned. "I'm happy for you!"

We boarded the train and waited for Draco to join us in the compartment. When he finally did, right before the train departed, the twins turned to me.

Star started. "We were wondering if you wanted to spend time with us in the manor this summer."

"You don't have to if you don't want to, of course," Draco added. "But the invitation is out there. You're welcome at the manor anytime."

"Really?" I said happily.

"Yes!" Star answered. "Father is a little suspicious of you, but other than that, it's completely fine."

"Thank you so much."

~~~

I couldn't have gotten out of the Dursley's house faster, and, three weeks after returning from Hogwarts, I was on my way to the Malfoy Manor.

Star and Draco had picked me up via Apparation, which is a way of teleportation similar to teleportation. That was strange in itself, but then we arrived at the manor.

The mansion was almost in the middle of nowhere, with a single street in front of it and thousands of green acres of empty land around it. There was a silver fence around the property and a gargoyle statue perched next to the gate. It opened for my friends and we followed the stone path leading to the doors. As we walked, we past the tall hedges that served as a barrier from the path to the garden. The sound of rushing water surrounded me, and I looked over the hedges to see golden fountains in the gardens.

We reached the front entrance, a grand set of double doors, and I had to do a double take at the mansion. It was made with stone, and reminded me of a castle. In the corners stood tall spires with dark, pointed roofs. Ivy grew up the side of one spire, giving the house a feeling of abandonment.

"Shall we go in," Star asked casually, "or do you want to stare at the walls some more?"

Heat flooded across my face as my cheeks reddened with embarrassment. "We can go in."

Draco opened one of the doors and I followed Star inside. Instantly, the house's beauty stole my attention once again. Directly in front of me was a grand room, with a row of windows of the far wall and a desk in the corner. A giant, crystal chandelier hung from the middle of the ceiling, and a fire blazed on the wall next to me, illuminating the room. A chair and bookshelf sat in another corner, immersed in darkness.

When I turned my head, I faced a circular staircase that led to the second floor. The stairs led through a doorway and down to the basement, torches lighting up the walkway.

"Okay, welcome to the manor!" Star said happily.