Chapter 9

Peter wakes up early the day of the end of the Intern Competition.

"Interns! Report to the Lab for the results of the Intern Competition!" Mr. Beckett's disembodied voice echoes around the groups floor.

The interns group in the hall, the nerves of each intern practically tangible in the air.

They cram into the elevator, Team 1 on the right, Team 2 on the left.

Though both teams get along well enough, they're too nervous about who will win to talk to the other.

Not until the results are read.

The teams emerge into the lab, sitting at seats on their respective sides.

"Welcome, contestants! Today is the day you've all been waiting for! The winner of the competition." Mr. Beckett greets.

"Remember, the winning team will be enrolled at Midtown Science & Tech, transport to school, will stay at the tower together, and will earn official internships at Stark Industries!" Ms. Beson tells the kids."

"And the winners are, with a 6 to 4 victory, very close..." Mr. Beckett begins, reading off a card, and Ms. Beson pulls another card out of an envelope she's holding.

"Team Two! Lami, Clare, Peter, Naira, and Oliver, welcome to Stark Industries!" Ms. Beson congratulates!"

Her last words are drowned out by the shouts of Team 2.

"We won!" Peter shouts, hugging Lami.

"I get to stay in New York!" Lami exclaims, caught up in the moment, she kisses Peter.

He freezes for a second, shocked, then kisses her back.

Lami pulls back, smiling.

Then they're distracted by Team 1.

Kentay, Lucas, and Pio are trying not to be too visibly upset, mostly just talking to each other, but they're still easily upset.

Kenja is hugging Naira, crying, "I'm gonna miss you so much!"

"I'll stay in touch." Naira promises.

Amani is hugging Oliver silently crying.

"I'll miss you." Lami says, hugging Kentay, Lucas and Pio individually, then hugging Kenja and Amani.

"We'll all miss all of you," Oliver agrees, "We've become like a family."

"Can't we all stay on as interns?" Clare asks Mr. Beckett and Ms. Beson.

"We don't have the clearance to make that decision." Mr. Beckett says.

Ms. Beson sighs, "I'll speak to Mr. Stark. It is a bit odd that he wants to split all of you up, as you work together quite well. Besides, I'm sure we have the space to take all of you on."

Much more excited, all the groups join together to celebrate what might happen in the next year or so of their internship.

End of Book