Fish out of Water

I growled in frustration. "What the hell is wrong with that kid?!" I yelled as he shut the door. I kicked the wooden table over.

"He's been hurt many times." Iroh said. I scoffed.

"Yeah obviously. How can he be so cruel so...Effortlessly?" I asked.

"What did he say?" He asked. I sighed and sat on my bed and told him what was said. Iroh sighed.

"My nephew is a good person, but ever since we've captured you he's been at war with himself. He told me he what you told Bako about your mom. He's just realizing how terrible the fire nation actually is, and what we've done. He's conflicted. He's at a crossroads of morality right now and he doesn't think he should let himself be good. He is trying to figure out wether it'll make him weak." Iroh sighed. I curled into a ball on the bed.

"Doesn't excuse what he said about my mom." I whispered.

"Of course it doesn't. He didn't mean it." He said. I nodded.

"I'm sorry." I said

"I'm not the one you should apologize to." And with that he left. I began doing my daily workout, consisting of as many pushups as my arm would allow, many crunches, and shadow boxing. I didn't notice when the door opened until the prince was standing in front of me holding his hands up for me to hit. I did just that. We moved perfectly in sync.

"Watch your left flank. Move tighter." He spoke soft, quietly giving me tips. 

"Harder. Put your body into full rotation." 

"Good. Do a double." 

"Good. Watch your footing, don't be unstable." 

"Good. Use that bad arm any way you can." 

"Good. Good job. Don't hurt yourself. Rest." He said. I was panting and sweating. I was no longer angry. When I was done I began unwrapping my hands sighing. I looked to this young boy. He was trying. He was trying very hard to go against everything he ever knew and loved. 

"Listen-" He cut me off.

"Don't. It's my fault. I'm sorry. I should've just accepted your encouragement instead of being offended by it. If someone had said to me what I said about your mother, I would've killed them. I couldn't ever in a million years ask for your forgiveness-" I cut him off.

"I forgive you. It's forgotten. Your uncle told me what today is. For what it's worth I'm sorry. Anniversaries are...Painful. They sometimes feel like we're living that first day all over again." I said. We both sat on my bed, elbows on knees, exhausted. "I don't know where the Avatar is going. I've got no idea, to be honest I probably wouldn't tell you even if I knew, but I can't let you capture him and turn him into the fire nation." I said turning to look at him.

"Don't worry, I've changed my mind, I won't turn your boyfriend into the fire nation. I'll take you to him. When I find him I'll let you go, you deserve to be with your brother. And just for the record I never wanted that guy to shoot you with an arrow." He finally turned to look at me. I gently nudged him with my elbow.

"He's not my boyfriend." I said. He chuckled.

"I don't know-" I cut off his sassy remark.

"Don't even start." I scoffed smiling. "Man. It's been one hell of a day, Im exhausted." I sighed. "Is it getting to be winter yet?" I asked. I had no way of knowing because there were no windows. He nodded.

"Yeah it's always cold outside. I suppose you're used to that though?" He asked. I shook my head.

"I grew up in the South Pole, but I never got used to it. I was always by the fire always trying to get warm." I said.