The Northern Water Tribe

Everyone was much happier now that we had friends and family with us. Dad was excited to go back to the water tribes. I was still exhausted, despite how often I would sleep, I would still be tired. Freya always noticed. "It's because you're mentally exhausted not physically." She said with her head on my lap, we were in Appas saddle flying towards the North Pole.

"I know Freya but how do I give my mind a break without breaking down?" I asked Freya.

"You stop putting things on your shoulders. Stop accepting everyone else's responsibilities. Let them take care of it." Freya replied. To everyone else it just sounded like growling and grunting and noises from Freya. My dad looked at me like I was crazy then Sokka explained it.

"I've been taking on responsibilities I shouldn't have to since before I can remember. That's how it'll always be." I replied. I had forgotten that my dad was with us so immediately I sat up. "Dad. I-I didn't mean it like that." I said he held up his hand shaking his head.

"Don't Katara. It's no secret that you've taken on a lot. It doesn't go unnoticed." He said.

"I-it doesn't?" I asked. "Y-you left. How could you possibly have known what I was doing? What I was going through? You wouldn't even write us, and we never knew where you were to write you, so how could you have possibly known?" I asked.

"It was easier for me to not write you, try to tell myself that you wouldn't want to hear from me because hearing from you but being unable to see you would've killed me." He said. I scoffed.

"Right and it was easier for us to pretend that you were dead rather than know that you just chose not to talk to us. After all that we had been through and you thought it would kill you to hear from us? What about what it did to us to not hear from you for 3 years? Left without either parent?" I asked. He hung his head low. Aang walked over to me and sat down.

"That was harsh." Aang said quietly. I sighed.

"Yeah So was being without our only parent that was alive for 3 years." I replied.

"I understand Katara, but-" He cut himself off. "You left your gran gran didn't you? For the greater good?" He said. I didn't want to admit that he was right so I just didn't say anything.
--
It was almost night time by the time we got to the North Pole. We spent a couple weeks there, I had to prove myself many times to the men, which my father often had a problem with, but always went quiet when I would beat them in duels. One day I was battling Master Paku. It was pretty neck and neck. I had just barely glanced at my father who was glowing with pride. I decided to display a new bending move that not even Paku knew. It took him by surprise and knocked him off balance. I created the biggest frozen, sharp wave that anyone had seen. He was laughing and panting at the same time.

"Yes! That is what I'm talking about! That is a true master!" Master Paku yelled at the top of his lungs also full of pride. I unfroze the water allowing him back down. As everyone was congratulating me, black ash began to fall my heart sunk. I looked over to my father who knew what it was.

"Freya!" I called out jumping off the cliff, falling for a minute then she caught me on her back flying to the top of the northern water tribes ice wall. The rest of the benders and I all began creating all kinds of defenses out of ice. I jumped on Freya once more telling her to turn into a dragon. As I was busy sinking ships by piercing them with ice she was flying around setting them on fire and sinking them that way. We weren't ever hit by any of the flaming hot boulders that were shot at us, thanks to Freya's agility.

"There's too many." I said looking out into the hundreds of ships. I was exhausted already. I had only sunk two dozen, didn't even make a dent. I looked back at the other benders who were trying to do everything they could but failing miserably. "Freya get me to Master Paku." I said. She flew back and I grabbed Master Paku's arm pulling him on. "Freya get us as close to the water as you can, then circle the ships. Benders! Follow our lead! Do as much as you can!" I yelled so they would hear me. They all nodded. "We are going to majorscale what I did to you today. Create a huge whirlpool around them." I said. Paku nodded. "Now Freya!" I yelled. We began bending the water. At first it started off small. But as Freya gained speed, going in circles we began to go faster, and faster, and faster, the benders keeping in tune with what we were doing. "Tighter circles Freya! When you get to middle go straight up!" I yelled loudly to be heard over the water and wind. We continued doing what we were doing but when Freya got into the middle, we shot all of them straight up. The force from this sent them nearly a hundred miles away. But there was still another half.

"We can't do this." I whispered using the last of my energy to stay hanging on to Freya. Paku as well looked absolutely exhausted. "Freya. Are you okay?" I asked. She let out a sympathetic whine in response, as a yes. As we got closer I looked at my father and shook my head. Freya slid onto the ice. I practically fell off of her, nearly too exhausted to stand.

"There's too many. We took care of at least half of them, but there's more. So many more." I said I looked over at Aang, he growled in determination and jumped on Appa. "Aang no! They're here for you! You can't go out!" I yelled chasing after him. He left anyways. "Freya! We're going back out." I said.

"No. Katara. You'll push the limits of waterbending." Master Paku said. "You'll hurt yourself." He said his hand on my shoulder. Freya slid over to me and I jumped on her.

"Better me than him." I said then she took off letting out a loud, ear splitting, impressive war screech. "Just like we were before Freya, sink em'." I whispered knowing she could hear me. We did as we were in the beginning. But it wasn't helping, I looked up at Aang who knew he was in too deep. "It's no use! We can't win out here! There's too many! We need to go back and rest! They won't attack while the moon is out!" I yelled so he could hear me. He nodded and as we were flying back on either side, a flaming boulder hit Freya right where I was riding her. We both let out a painful scream. I began falling to the ocean. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. As I was falling I looked to my side. Zukos eyes widened as they landed on me. I didn't have time to react. I hit the water so hard it knocked the air out of me. I wanted to swim to the surface but I didn't have the air for it. Then a figure began swimming towards me. It was Zuko. All I could do was stare at him. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me towards him. For a minute I thought he was kissing me then I realized that he was breathing air into me. This hit my body like a bolt of energy. He kept his arm around my waist and we began swimming to the surface together. Just as we reached the surface Freya came swimming towards me now in the form of a sea serpent. She helped Zuko and I into his boat. He was shivering.

"Are you okay?" He asked. His voice shaky because his entire body was shaking. I nodded and bended all the water off him. He looked shocked that I could do that.

"This isn't the first time you've come between me and death Prince Zuko. I won't question your intentions here though I know they more than likely aren't good. Thank you for saving me." I said. Freya cooed me, apologizing over and over again for getting hit and getting me hit. I pet her gently causing her to stop, knowing she was forgiven. I looked at Zuko who was quiet. I took a step towards him and planted a small quick kiss on his lip, then turned to jump onto Freya.

"You're hurt." Zuko said, pointing at my side. The fireball had burnt trough my close and burnt my skin I bended a little water onto my side and healed myself.

"Thank you." I said one last time then jumped on Freya and left him. Freya turned back into a dragon and flew up the ice wall, landing in the center of the palace where everyone was waiting.

"I thought you were dead!" My father said running up to me. I hugged him back when he picked me up.

"It'll take more than that." I said. Freya was however hurt and bleeding. "Father I need to heal Freya." I said. She turned back into a snow leopard and collapsed to the ground whimpering in pain. I got on my knees, summoning water into my hands and healing her side. Even after she was healed I continued healing that one spot which gave her a little energy. I collapsed onto the ground, passing out from exhaustion. The last thing I remember was Freya shoulder me onto her and carrying me to our room.