This Cant Be

The sound of the door closing was like his cue to immediately pull me into a tight hug. "I had no idea what was going to happen." Zuko said, his voice drenched in sadness.

"Well I'm okay. The groups okay. It's all okay." I said.

"That doesn't mean I'm any less worried." He said. He pulled away and leaned in for a kiss, but I quickly moved away from him.

"Zuko we need to talk." I said. He waited a long minute before answering. As if he didn't even want to ask. He didn't even turn around to look at me when he finally answered.

I could hear him take a deep breath as if he was readying himself to ask. "What happened?"

"It..It's not so much that something happened. It's about what could happen." I sighed, not wanting this talk to be confusing, more straightforward and to the point.

"What could- What? What do you mean?" Zuko asked finally turning around and taking a step towards me. He pulled the pin out of his hair, which was a statement of his royalty, tossing it onto his bed angrily.

"When you become firelord. The nation will have trouble accepting you since you're already making so many changes. Changes that most of them will not like. But on top of that trying to get them to accept you with a water tribe native- a water bender, as your wife? They won't. They will try to overthrow you, try to hurt you. I don't want that." I explained. "After this war, we were supposed to be able to finally breathe. But that would just be another shitty situation where we're both holding our breath, waiting for the next thing." I continued. He broke out into a genuine smile, and chuckled.

"Is that it? That's all you're worried about?" He asked. This made me falter.

"Isn't that enough?" I asked.

"No. Not in a million years Katara. When you're with me, I feel invincible." He explained. I shook my head angrily. "They will try to overthrow me, or assassinate me with you by my side or not." He continued.

"Okay but you're not actually invincible. Just because I'm by your side doesn't mean that a sword can't run you through! It doesn't mean that you can't die, Zuko!" I raised my voice.

"With you by my side, there isn't a fucking thing I can't do, Katara! That includes running a kingdom and dealing with the repercussions of being a leader!" He yelled back.

"And what of our kids? When we're gone? The fire nation, so unsure of everything after you've changed their daily normal, will not accept half blood children to ascend the throne. And if they tried, god knows what they'd do to them!" I yelled back.

"They will be accepted Katara. Because our children are the children of Firelord Zuko, and Lady Katara. They are of royal blood, and by law have every right to ascend the throne, regardless of blood." He said. "And let someone try to stop them or hurt them, even if we aren't there, there is not a doubt in my mind that our children will grow up strong, and fierce. They will be able to handle it. And if not the next avatar will be made aware of the instability of the Fire Nation and will help if no one else will." He said.

"And you're people? The conflict that will be sparked over whether or not they support you and your bride. They will turn on each other." I argued. I only wanted what was best for him, for us, for the family we might've built. I loved our relationship and I put everything I had into it, but I couldn't stand the thought of always waiting for the next thing to happen. I wanted to settle down and be happy, not live in fear and paranoia.