Chapter 9: Confessions

Just as Revali began to inch his beak closer to her, a noise caused Y/N to snap her head in the opposite direction.

'What was that?' She was suddenly startled.

Revali, quite annoyed that someone were to interrupt his moment, attempted to reassure her, 'I'm sure it was nothing. Don't fret.'

'No. I need to see what it was.' Y/N got to her feet and Revali began following her towards the door. Outside, in the flight range, were two bokoblins with their bows aiming at the couple.

Y/N jumped to avoid one of the arrows, and Revali lifted himself into the air so that he could shoot them from a better angle.

Y/N readied her sword and began slashing at the red bokoblin's throat until it fell to the ground in defeat. Meanwhile, Revali focused his shooting on the silver bokoblin, which seemed much stronger than its red counterpart.

Suddenly, a horn blowing could be heard in the distance, followed by tons more bokoblins rushing towards Y/N. She began to panic. As much as Revali was the most skilled archer among the Rito, there was no way he'd be able to defend her with just his bow alone. There were too many of them. It wasn't long before she was surrounded. One of the bokoblins had a bow. It shot upwards into the sky, causing a loud 'Ack!' Sound to be heard as Revali fell to the ground, losing some feathers in the process.

'Revali are you okay!!?' Y/N called, seemingly more concerned about her friend than she was about herself, despite being surrounded.

'Worry about yourself!' He called back, as he grabbed his bow weakly. He still wanted to rescue her, despite being injured. However, as Y/N was slashing the bokoblin's throats open, one bokoblin made its way over to Revali and readied its dragonbone boko club.

'NO!' Y/N screamed, instinctively raising her hand.

A bright white light appeared, almost blinding. Revali had to cover his eyes with his wing. Once the light had finally dissipated, all of the bokoblins were gone.

Y/N wasted no time in rushing over to her injured friend.

'Revali! Are you okay?' She grabbed his wing gently and analysed his injury.

'Your power...' he gasped, still in awe. 'It worked!'

'It just kinda happened.' Y/N said, knowing what this meant. 'We'll talk about this later. We have to get you back to Chima!'

Revali, too injured to fly, walked back to the inn with the help of Y/N. She had to half carry him since his wing was injured.

When he stumbled into the inn, Chima immediately rushed over.

'He got hit by a bokoblin whilst he was in the sky.' Y/N explained as Chima glanced him over.

He scowled at her, not wanting to deal with the humiliation that he, the Rito champion, had been shot down by a bokoblin. Of course, to her, his safety was more important than his pride at this moment.

'I'll get you some bandages,' Chima said, as she rushed into the next room.

'No need, I can handle myself.' Revali protested, yet he was already struggling.

'Just swallow your pride and let someone else help you for once!' Y/N demanded. Surprisingly, he shut his beak upon hearing her request.

Chima soon returned with the bandages, and asked for a run down on everything that had happened.

'I was showing her my updraft.' Revali explained, not wanting to go into detail about the intimate moment they had shared before the bokoblin attack. 'And then Y/N heard a noise. When we went to investigate, we saw two bokoblins. I thought this would be easy to handle, but then suddenly, more appeared, and soon there were too many for us to handle.'

'You can stay here for tonight. You can't go all the way back to your house in this state.' Chima insisted.

Revali felt a blush creep up on his face. 'But there are no beds available,' he gestured towards all the sleeping travellers occupying every bed, except for Y/N's.

'You'll have to share...' Chima scratched her head awkwardly before inconspicuously winking at Y/N. 'I'm sure you won't mind though.'

'Uhh... Y/N... would you be okay... with that?' The usually cocky and prideful bird was now a stuttering mess. And she'd be lying if she said she didn't find it amusing.

Both Revali and Chima stared at her with anticipation. She DID like him a lot, that much was obvious. But was it too soon? Nah. Screw it, she thought.

'It would be fine.' She finally said with a smile. She couldn't help but notice Chima's smirk.

~~~~~

When Revali was all patched up, Y/N was already in her bed, reading a book. Revali cleared his throat, causing her to look up into his glowing green eyes. He was trying to make this as least awkward as he possibly could, but a male sharing a bed with his female 'friend' was certainly the most awkward situation he'd ever been in. Sure, he was a flirtatious and confident bird, but he had never shared an intimate bond with a woman before. In this sense, he was as inexperienced as she was.

'Are you feeling any better?' Y/N asked.

'Much better, thank you.' Revali responded as he sat down on the end of the bed.

'Don't be shy, come here, this is your bed too.' The girl patted the side of the bed next to her, and Revali shuffled closer. She lifted the duvet, allowing him to climb in next to her. She scooted close to his side, so that they were now touching. She noticed his face was still laced with concern. Something was obviously on his mind.

'What is it, Revali?'

'I have something to ask, Y/N.'

'Go ahead.' She urged, placing her book down at the side so she could listen intently.

'Didn't you say your power only worked on those who you truly loved and cared for?'

There was a pause before she said, 'Well yeah, but it also works when I'm defending myself. So there's that,'

'But that specific bokoblin wasn't even attacking you. It was attacking me. You know what this means, right?'

It was Y/N's turn to look away in embarrassment. He had now confronted her about her feelings, and she had no choice but to admit it. 'I know. Ever since I set eyes on you in the castle... I liked you. There's no denying it. You're heraldic, you're talented, you're eloquent and you're extremely smooth. I was just drawn to you.'

This ego boost triggered a smirk to appear on his beak. 'Many women share that view.' He boasted. 'But I must admit, Y/N, that I was rather attracted to you, too.'

'Was?' She asked curiously.

The bird then took a deep breath before finally admitting, 'I am.'

'I knew it all along.' She teased, pinching the feathers on his cheek.

'Careful! Those are delicate!' He laughed as he playfully pushed her away.

She yawned. 'I'm so tired. Do you mind if we talk about this tomorrow?'

'Of course. I'm tired, too. But tomorrow, I shall ask you on a date,' Revali exclaimed proudly.

'Ahaha, steady on.' The girl joked as she shuffled closer to him. He welcomed her, and wrapped his wings around her, pulling her onto his chest so they would fall asleep cuddling.

'Goodnight, Revali,' she murmured into his chest.

'Goodnight, sweet dove,' he responded, before drifting off into a peaceful slumber.