Chapter Six; He's In Need Of A Fixer Upper

We finally made it back to the house after what seemed like an eternity. I start to pull up into the driveway and open the garage door. William seemed bamboozled by the garage door opening 'by itself'. I chuckle softly at his star struck eyes. I close it with the key and he is even more amazed. He looks around and tries to find someone pressing the button but he saw nothing. I park the car and get out. He does as well. I walk into the house and take a deep breath. I get an idea.

"Hey Alexa," Beeoop, "Play Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka."

William tilted his head and flinched when she responded.

"Playing Bad Blood by Neil Sedaka."

And soon enough, the song started playing. His animatronic jaw dropped, almost literally. I started to giggle, then the giggles turned into laughter. He was so confused on why I was laughing so hard. I finally calm down after about a minute and explain to him that a lot of the stuff now is wireless and interactive. I put up a finger and say, "Alexa, intruder alert."

He looked at me like I was crazy but i kept my finger up. All of a sudden the lights turn green, "What are you doing in my swamp?"

His eyes widen with fear of what's next. Nothing came to hurt him, no, there was only All Star by Smash Mouth. He seemed utterly confused. I snicker and tell Alexa to stop. The lights change back and the music stops.

"What on Earth (y/n)?" he questions. I only smile.

"I thought it'd be funny. Didn't you ever have fun, William?"

His stature tensed. He nodded yes, but didn't say anything. I looked at him in curiosity, but he looked away. I assumed it was a personal thing and left it alone. He sat down on the couch and a squelch sound was made. Panicking, he stood up and looked at the couch. I jog over and see what happened. There was now a red stain on my couch!!

"Williaaaaaam," I whined, "I just got this couch like a month ago!"

He seemed embarrassed. I felt bad for snapping at him. I patted his arm gently and walked to the kitchen to get a wet sponge. Grabbing one, I rinsed it in the water and walked back. I dab the sponge on the stain and try to get as much of it off. I walk back to the kitchen and get a glass of water and some club soda and mix it. I quickly rinse the sponge and walk back, pouring the mixture on the stain and blotting it. William looks at me in awe, he mumbled something under his breath but I couldn't hear it. I repeat the process of club soda and water about 3 ish more times. Going into the laundry room and get glycerin (which I apparently have) and laundry detergent and mix with water in a bowl, mixing as much as I can.

As I work on the stain, William wonders around the house, looking at everything. Putting the elixir into a spray bottle, I spray the stain and scrub with a sponge. The stain came out easily. I got up from my knees and looked at my work. I pour a bowl of cold water on the place where the stain was and dry it with a towel. The cushion was cleaned. I look around and I see William. I check the bathroom, laundry room, living room, kitchen and guest room but couldn't find him. I lastly check my bedroom where I see him looking at pictures of my family. He looked sad.

I put my hand on his shoulder and he flinched.

"Are you okay, Will?" I ask softly.

He nods and stares longingly at the photo in his hand: it's me, my mom, my dad and my little brother. I remember when we took that picture. I was about 15 and he was 6. We went to the park for his birthday.. what a day it was, full of fun and happiness. Too bad I had to leave.. he was only 11 when I left home. Maybe I should visit.. I shake my head and focus my attention to William.

"It's a cute picture, isn't it?" I turned to him and gave him a small smile. He glanced at me for a quick second before turning his attention back to the picture. He took a breath as if he was about to say something, but looked as if he had decided against it. He then set it back down without saying another word, glancing to the side.

There was a slight silence for a minute or so and William snapped out of his trance. "S-sorry.. I shouldn't have been looking through your stuff..." he apologized softly. I smile and let him know it's ok.

I grab his hand and lead him into the living room. He looks at the couch in awe, he saw that the stain was gone and was impressed. I looked him up and down, walking around him, examining his suit. I lift his arm up and look at that. He looks at me confused when I shake my head.

"Tsk tsk tsk. This needs to go. This whole suit. I'll make you a new one!" I smile and say with enthusiasm. He looked at me like I was crazy, "Do you even know how to make one??"

I raise my eyebrow at him, "No, but do you?"

He stood there speechless. He mumbled something profane and said yes. I laugh and smile. I walk to the garage and flip the light. My smile fades when I see it's a mess. I groan and open the garage door, keys in hand. I get in the car and put it in the driveway. I walk back in and close the door, turning around and seeing William helping. He's picking up boxes and puts them on the shelf, moving things off the workbench and sorting. I walk down the steps and help him. He stops me in my tracks and tells me to sweep. I mumble a playful 'ok boomer' only to get a glare.

I squeak and start sweeping. I wasn't complaining about it, I love sweeping. It's so satisfying to see a dirty room look all clean. After 25 minutes of straight cleaning , we were done. I sit on the workbench and exhale heavily. He grabs a sheet of paper and a pencil from the bench drawer and makes a list of things I need to buy:

Thick wiring

Wire cutters

Thick foam

Felt

Bolts

Screws

Measuring tape

Scissors

Sewing machine

Ribbon

Buttons

    I look at the list and look back at him.

    "I need to buy all this???" I shriek. He nods. I look at it again and check off some of the things I already have like the machine, scissors and measuring tape. I look back at him with realization: "I don't have any money..."

    It's like a spring lock snapped in his brain and his eyes shot open. He forgot about the cost of things. I shake my head and pull out my phone and call my boss. He picks up and loses. His. Shit. he went off on how I did such a horrible job of keeping the building safe and making sure nothing happens. He then yelled the words I didn't wanna hear, 'you're fired.' My eyes teared up and I begged and begged him to let me stay. I told him how much I needed that job because I'm scrapping for food (which is kinda true). After a godly amount of time sobbing, he gave in and gave me a second chance, plus I get triple the pay. That's 625.50 a week!
    I thank him and he mumbled a 'don't mention it, kid' and hung up. Then he texted me and told me to get my paycheck at the site of the attraction. I smile and grab my keys.

    "I'LL BE BACK WILLIAM!! WATCH SOME TV WHILE I'M GONE!!!!"

I yelled as I shut the door.

E N D