3

Is someone there or just a chill in the air?
Do you hear that whisper whenthewind blows?
Feels likethere's spiders crawling all in yourhair
In the dark there's a shadow in the window
___________________

THERE WAS a fabric store down the road and it took Evie less than five seconds to point it out.

"Let's go!" She urged, already walking.

"Carlos." I said, grabbing his hand just as he was about to go after the group.

He turned to me. "Yeah?"

"I wanna check that place out." I told him, gesturing to the unusual little store across the street. My curiosity was getting the best of me.

He gave it a once-over, then shrugged. "Okay." He agreed, before calling to the others. "Hey! You guys go ahead. Brae and I will catch up later."

"Alright! See ya." Jay gave us a ridiculous salute, complimented by the kiss Dizzy blew our way.

The bell attached above the door rang softly when we entered. The store was packed. My jaw dropped slightly at the piles and piles of books and random items that completely filled the high shelves. There were retro video games, old coins, vintage advertising signs, action figures, glassware, ancient clocks...

"Woah." Carlos breathed, "This place is awesome."

A woman appeared from the back room, looking dazed. The expression on her face suggested she didn't expect customers.

"Hello." She said blandly, not making any eye contact.

"Hi." I smiled, though she wasn't paying attention, "Cool shop."

She didn't reply. Her dress was worn out, a bandanna on her head. She was a strange woman, the kind that seemed to keep everything to herself. I watched her rummage through the things scattered on one of the desks and wondered if she wanted us to leave.

"Not the friendliest bunch, huh?" Carlos whispered against my ear, echoing Jake's words.

I just playfully rolled my eyes at him. "Shush." I said before turning to the woman. "Did you collect all this?"

She didn't look up, but answered with "Not all of them".

Eager to get more of a conversation out of her, I continued. "Are these for sale?" I asked, genuinely curious, as Carlos knelt down to look at the collection of rocks and crystals under the table.

"Some of them." The woman replied promptly, before finally looking up at us.

I watched her face freeze the second she got a good look at us. She looked mildly scared and her face seemed to pale.

Does she know we're from the Isle?

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She blinked, then shook her head. "We're closing in five minutes" was her rushed answer.

But it's not even lunch yet...

Just then, a young girl, probably our age, emerged from the back room too. "Mom, I can't find-" She stopped in her tracks when she saw us, her eyes completely fixed on me.

The woman waved her over. "Em, please take care of our customers." The way she said it was odd, like they don't usually get customers. "I have a little- um, errand to tend to." Her voice was quivering, like she was about to cry, and I couldn't figure out why. She quickly removed herself from the room.

The girl had green eyes and dark silky hair. Her mouth hung open, unable to respond to her mom as she stared at me.

I was beginning to get uncomfortable. "Uh, why're you lookin' at me like that?" I laughed nervously.

Before she could reply, her mom called from the back room "Watch your manners, Em." There was an exaggerated emphasis in her words, like it might something more than just manners.

I watched the girl compose herself quickly, seemingly understanding her mom's orders. Her smile was a nervous wreck. "Hey. Can I help you with something?"

"Actually-" I started before Carlos cut me off.

"We were just about to go." He said airily, putting an arm around my shoulder.

I frowned, but the look Carlos gave me said Don't push your luck. He grabbed my hand and started out the door.

"Wait!" The girl sounded alarmed, which confused me. I tugged on Carlos' hand to signal him to stop.

I watched her glance into the back room, like she was worried of being caught. She rushed to fetch something from behind the counter, then approached me, holding out a pocket watch with a long, thin silver chain.

"Keep it. No need to pay."

Her sentences were short and direct.

I took it from her. "Thanks?"

"Will you be back?" The girl whispered, demeanor changing.

Her statements were getting more and more questionable. Before I could reply, Carlos beat me to it.

"We'll think about it- Thanks." And he pretty much pushed me out the door.

"What's gotten into you?" I glanced up at him, worried. Though I think I know the answer.

"I don't know." Carlos answered, but not before giving me a reassuring squeeze, "Something about them just doesn't feel right and I'd rather us not go in ever again."

I looked down at the pocket watch the girl had hastily given me. It was a fine art, a shape of a weird looking dragon carved into the metal on the back, and it fit perfectly in my hand. The thin lid was snapped shut. I raised it up in the air to look at it under the sunlight and caught the outline of the same girl at the window on the second floor. She stared down at us, but disappeared as soon as she realized I had spotted her.

I pocketed the watch, gaze lingering at the window.

"Let's go find the others." Carlos said, and I let him lead me away.

We spent the rest of the morning cruising around the streets and visiting store after store. Mal was doodling in her notebook the whole time, recording sights and small details. We ended up back in the bakery, just as promised. Judy wasn't there- she was off duty, but Jake was more than happy to feed us.

In minutes the others had engaged into a conversation with Jake. But I couldn't help but pay more attention to the shop across the street than my croissant.

That was the strangest, most creepiest encounter I've ever had. And I'm from the Isle, so that says a lot.

Carlos caught me staring out the window and reached over the small table, gently placing his fingers under my chin and forcing me to turn away from my thoughts.

"What's wrong?" He whispered.

I loved that he already knew something was wrong and was comfortable enough to get straight to the point without playing the Are you okay? Are you sure? game.

"Just thinking about that girl." I answered honestly, "She weirded me out."

Carlos smirked a little, like saying duh!

"Her mom freaked me out the most." He replied, poking at his raspberry tart, "She was looking at you like she just saw a ghost."

I chuckled. "Exactly."

He playfully squeezed my cheek, then said very seriously "Don't worry about it, okay? I know you're the adventurous type, Brae, but I want you safe... safe away from people who creep me out."

I smiled, knowing he meant well. "Alright. I'll stay out of it."

____________________
Hi I know I said I'll update a chapter every week but I felt generous this time so here's a two-chapter update after only four days lmao. Happy late thanksgiving!!