17

Every time you miss the beat and life pulls you under
When you need your rhythm back I'll be your drummer
__________________

A COUPLE more days went by where I let my friends drown me with things to keep me distracted. Carlos was as sweet as always. And I may or may not have picked up some drawing skills from Mal too. Just ask Adam, the deformed parrot I doodled in her notebook.

Yes I am very proud of it and no you don't get to change my mind.

Fairy Godmother hasn't been in contact for a while now and I didn't know if I liked the peace and quiet.

Until this morning.

"Brae." Mal blurted when she came tumbling into the kitchen, interrupting me mid-eggroll, "Ben texted. Fairy Godmother wants to see us at the museum."

Mouth still full, I pointed at her and then back to myself, gesturing Just me and you?

"Apparently so." Mal replied, "Ben said you're the main person obviously, and I'm just the magical freak that needs to tag along because my mom decided to go around cursing people."

I chuckled, knowing Ben would never say that to her. At least not in a mean way.

"Just give me five minutes to change."

"Alright." I said cheerfully once the eggroll was devoured.

I texted Carlos as I waited for Mal by the front door.

Brae: Mal and I are meeting FGM by the museum again. Sorry. You're gonna have to wait.

He was quick to reply.

Carlos: Don't sweat it. We have tons of other time to test that video game.

Brae: I bet it's worse than the one from yesterday.

Carlos: You're probably right hahaha.

Brae: Mal's here. I gotta go.

Carlos: Alrighty. Keep me updated.

Brae: Of course. Love you.

Carlos: Idiot.

I grinned fondly, then looked up at Mal who was now dressed comfortably in purple sweats.

"I recognize that lovestruck look on your face." She said cheekily as she twisted the doorknob, "What did Carlos say to you this time?"

"Well, he called me an idiot." I told her truthfully.

Mal raised her eyebrows, obviously not expecting that answer. "We have very different taste in boys." She replied half-jokingly.

"Your guy is literal royalty." I reminded her as we walked down the path, "My guy's most prized possession is the campus mutt- and I'm not complaining."

Mal laughed, then shook her head. "It's crazy how everyone seems to have paired off with someone now, huh?"

I nodded in agreement.

"Why do you think Fairy Godmother asked to see us?" Mal asked, kicking a small stone off the pavement.

I shrugged. "She either figured something out or she couldn't figure anything out."

"Brae... I still think Hades-"

"-that his ember will break the curse?" I finished for her, "I believe you, Mal. But I have to agree with Ben on this one. He's a dangerous man and he's in lockdown, same with Maleficent and the other villain parents. It's too risky. And besides, Fairy Godmother shut the barrier."