30

Little do you know
I'm still haunted by the memories
Little do you know
I'm trying to pick myself up piece by piece
__________________

"YOU'RE IN a lot of trouble." Fairy Godmother said the next day.

We told her everything, minus the part about being captured and having to face the parents. We were sitting around the table.

"I know you meant well. But you can't go against my word like that. In a normal situation I would've punished you all with cleaning duty or service hours but I'm gonna have to explain why a couple teenagers are responsible for stealing Hades' ember off the Isle."

"We're sorry, Fairy Godmother. Really." Mal said earnestly, "We just decided to take matters into our own hands."

I nodded.

Fairy Godmother sighed, then she surprised us with a slight smile. "You're all insane, you know that? Insane." She paused, "And unstoppable. You scare me."

Her smile was mirrored on all our faces.

"I'll let it go. But promise me two things." Fairy Godmother raised her hand and pointed at each one of us, "Never risk your lives like that again. And I'm keeping the ember once we're done with it."

Mal looked around at us, then said "Sounds like a plan".

Ben chuckled.

Fairy Godmother picked up her wand. The real one. And asked "Okay. So who's coming?"

We glanced at each other.

"Well, Em and I, obviously." I said.

"I'm going." Mal said, "I'm the only one who can use Hades' ember."

"I'd want to." Evie spoke up, "But I don't want to overwhelm Brisa with people. And plus, I need to fetch Dizzy from her overdue sleepover."

Jay shrugged. "I'll stay here too. I wanna see if Carlos is back at our dorm. He disappeared this morning."

I lowered my head.

"But update us, okay?" Jay continued.

"Yeah- yeah of course." I replied.

"Alright. Gather around." Fairy Godmother said, motioning at us, "Do you have the snow globe, Em?"

"Yup." She was smiling more than usual, obviously excited at the idea of finally freeing her dad.

"Bibbidi bobbidi boo!"

And suddenly we were in the store. I looked around and took in the familiar surroundings. The mess was gone though. I guess Brisa kept herself busy with cleaning.

She hobbled out from the back room. "You really need to stop appearing out of utterly no where-"

"Mom!" Emma cried, "We're undoing the curse!"

I saw the complete shock on Brisa's face and it took her a second to react to the news. "W- what?"

"Well, long story short," Emma said, close to jumping of joy, "Brae and her friends went to the Isle to steal Hades' ember and now we can break the spell!"

"Hades' ember?" Brisa gasped, turning to the rest of us.

Mal stepped up to her, casually raising the blue ember in her gloved hand. "Hi." She smirked, "Yeah. You're staring at his daughter."

This is the second time Mal shocked the daylights out of the poor woman with her family relationships. Brisa continued gawking as Emma set the snow globe on the table.

"Be careful." Fairy Godmother warned.

Mal loosened up her shoulders, looking determined as she loomed over the snow globe. Emma went to my side, which surprised me because it was her and her mom's moment, not mine. Mal's eyes began glimmering green. I saw Brisa physically flinch. I guess she still hasn't gotten over the fact that Mal was Maleficent's daughter.

"What the mistress of evil has done was wicked, so I command the curse to be lifted!"

Suddenly the ember clutched between her fingers glowed harshly and we were blinded. When I opened my eyes again, Emma was screaming. Happy screams.

"Dad! Dad!"

My heart swelled at the sight of Emma bawling into her dad's chest. He was a bearded man, tall and plump. Not what I expected, but then again I didn't know what I was expecting.

"Em?" He looked around nervously at the new comers such as myself, "What is going on?"

Brisa approached him, her hand landing lightly on his arm. "Hey, Jon. Look at me. I'll explain everything." She was in tears.

"You're welcome." Mal said, a tint of sarcasm in her voice.

Brisa turned to her. "Thank you." She said shyly, before turning to me, "Thank you."

I shrugged in response as the three of them embraced, then I walked over to Fairy Godmother. "Let's go." I said to her quietly, "We should let them have their moment."

Fairy Godmother smiled at me, her expression bittersweet. "If you want to... Bibbidi bobbidi boo!"

The rest of the week went by in a haze. Emma was back with both her parents. Her happily ever after. I hung out with Evie at the auditorium where Jay and Lonnie were practicing fencing. Mal went on her dates with Ben. Everything went back to normal, but it didn't feel normal.

I'd be lying if I said he wasn't on my mind the whole time. I haven't seen him since forever. My heart was confused. And poor Jane. She didn't understand why I couldn't look at her when she stopped by to say hi.

Evie nudged me. "Thinking about Carlos?" She asked knowingly.

I smiled a little, then leaned on her shoulder. "I'm worried about him." I said honestly, "How about you? How's the whole Doug break up?"

Evie hummed, then said "I'm handling it better than I thought I would. I'm beginning to think I'm better off by myself. Besides, I don't need a man to survive, do I?"

I smiled. She had come a long way.

"You're still scared, aren't you?" Evie said.

I sighed. "I mean, it's not easy to see a fake version of your boyfriend kiss another girl."

"I get it." Evie said, "But one way it another you'll have to let it go or else you'll be running for the rest of your life... Carlos loves you so much."

I looked up at her. "Did he talk to you?"

Evie smiled. "Yeah. While you were away." She replied, "Brae. It's completely your choice. But I do think Carlos is worth it. I'm just saying when the time comes, you'll have to let it go. The same way you let go of your dad's knife."

"It's been a week since I've seen him."

"He didn't want to make you uncomfortable. So he's been hiding in his room."

"Oh man." I buried my head in my hands.

"Go see him."

"Then what?" I said, "Tell him I'm the worst girlfrie- ex girlfriend ever?"

"Tell him whatever you want to tell him." Evie answered frankly, "As long as it's truly how you feel. He would understand."

"I'm not ready." I said.

"Then wait till you are."

"I don't know how long of a wait it will be."

"You'll know when the right time comes."

__________________
Hi I was sick when I wrote this and I'm terrible at rhyming (hence the crappy spells) but thank you to everyone who's still reading. It truly means a lot. <3