24

Don't think I need you,
I just came here for something
I'm given you everything,
by giving you nothing
___________________

"DON'T MAKE a sound." Celia warned before she turned the key, "The echo is like- crazy in there and your parents would hear you in a heartbeat."

I felt myself tense up at the thought of the parents and lightly touched the scar on my face.

"Brae." Emma blurted suddenly, "I- I can't do it."

I turned to her, perplexed. "Hm?"

"Don't get me wrong. I want to save my dad." She stammered, "But seeing the Isle was scary enough. I don't know if I can handle Hades."

Celia snickered.

I put my hands on her shoulders. "I won't force you." I told her, "You wait out here with Uma, okay?"

"Uh, no no no." Uma intercepted, looking at me, Evie and Mal, "I'm coming with you. I want some action."

"There's no 'action'." Mal said, using air quotes, "We're just stealing the ember and legging it."

Uma laughed. "You've been off the Isle too long to remember the thrill of stealing."

Emma looked at me, desperate.

I hummed in thought. "Is it okay if you stay out here and wait for us?"

"I don't know if I wanna be alone..." Emma replied shyly.

Suddenly, Celia stepped up and held an open palm my way. "I'll babysit her for a couple dollars." She offered brightly.

I raised an eyebrow at her proposal. Wow. She really meant it when she said she was on a hustle.

I finally reached into my pocket and placed a coin in her hand. "Deal."

I couldn't tell if Emma approved, but Celia looked delighted as she gaped at the coin. It was real Auradon currency.

"So you'll lead us to Hades, and then come back out and stay with Em for a while?" I said.

Celia didn't answer my question. "So, your name is Em, huh?" She grinned at Emma.

Emma looked her up and down. "Only if you want to call me that." She replied with a small smirk.

...What?

"Okay!" Mal snapped her fingers, "Let's get this show on the road."

"Finally." Uma cheered.

"Sooner we get this over with the better." Evie sighed, sounding tired.

"Remember, we take the ember, then we run for it." Mal reminded, "The parents don't have to know we're here."

Celia unlocked the gate and pulled it open just enough for us to wiggle through. I waved back at Emma, who acknowledged me, and trailed behind Mal, Evie and Uma.

The series of tunnels Celia guided us through reminded me of the tunnels we used to get to the Isle and I couldn't help but wonder if they were connected. This one was drier though, so it couldn't be.

Occasionally, Celia would look back at us and raise an index finger in front of her lips, reminding us for the billionth time to be quiet. When it got darker, I reached into my bag for one of the flashlights, which I dimmed to make it less noticeable just in case. We made twists and turns and I knew we were close when I saw the soft bluish light that came from the end of the path.