16

Oh, you love me, you love me
Why the hell d'you love me?
'Cause I don't even love myself
Baby, the best part of me is you
____________________

"ARE YOU kidding?" was his immediate answer.

I was back in his room, sitting cross-legged on his bed and nervously fiddling with my fingers.

"Brae, you're not selfish." He said, "Not at all."

"But you're always the one supporting me, not the other way around." I replied weakly, "I mean, look at us now. Here I am being emotionally unstable and here you are comforting me. Again."

"That's literally my job."

"Isn't that my job too?"

"Well, when I need comforting, yes." He answered, "But you're the one who's upset right now."

Me. Always me who's upset.

"Brae. Look at me."

As corny as he sounded, I did.

"Remember that time Fairy Godmother had us video call our parents, a long time ago?" He asked, edging closer.

I gave him a small, weary smile. "Yeah. And I hope that never happens again cause... just no."

He smiled a little too. "Remember when Cruella was screaming at me? You held my hand, remember? Like this."

He took my hand in his and squeezed it tight. My chest was filled with a tingly sensation of warmth.

"How is this not comforting me when I needed it?" He asked, staring at me intently, "Not to mention all the other times you've been there for me. Literally since day one. At the museum stairs, remember? When I was frightened of loud noises?"

He was taking me down memory lane, writing out our history before my eyes.

"You barely understood what I was going through, but you tried so hard." He continued, "No one has ever tried that hard to understand me."

"Carlos..."

He raised our entwined hands up for me to see. "This is enough for me, Brae. Really. You being here makes me a better person, I promise. I mean, considering the fact that I grew up alone, you're more than I could've asked for."

Despite everything, I laughed. This boy. Unbelievable.

"You're not 'too much', or 'too little'." He reassured me, "So no more questioning it, okay?"

"Okay." I paused. "How are you so sure about all this?"

He shrugged. "Gut feeling? I've never trusted anyone this much before."

Me either.

I grinned, letting go of his hand. I suddenly wrapped both my arms around his chest, almost knocking over the open laptop he had placed at the end of the mattress. I pressed myself close to him, like I was trying to find some way to melt into him.

"Brae?" He questioned, a tad surprised.

"Oh shush. Just let me enjoy this."

He laughed, then I felt him scoot closer. He leaned his head on mine and kept silent, just as I requested, letting me hold him for once.

I feel like I could breathe him in. His love was intoxicating. It didn't seem real.

"I went to see Ben this morning, in case you were wondering." He said suddenly after a few minutes of silence, "He needed my big brain to fix his computer."