23

When you're young and you get your heartbroken
And he leaves, leaves the scars open
When you can't believe it's over
That's when you get a little colder
__________________

I COULDN'T sleep.

Uma had offered us a few cots to spend the night in below deck and we were all thankful. The ship rocked gently, allowing the others to drift off one by one. I, on the other hand, was being tormented by images of Carlos.

Was it wrong that I missed him, even after what he had done to me? The shock had worn off. Now it just feels like I lost him.

I sat up in the dark, looking over at the outline of Emma asleep in her sheets, and dragged myself out of bed. Tiptoeing around her, I managed to leave the cabin. Feeling around the walls in the pitch black, I lead myself up deck. I was surprised I wasn't alone.

Uma was leaning against the bulkhead, her gaze rested on the waters outside the barrier. I noticed her pirate hat was gone. She seemed like a regular Isle girl without it. When I stepped closer, she instantly withdrew her sword.

"Chill, it's me!" I said, a little panicky.

"Oh, Isle Orphan." She put her sword back into its scabbard, "You really shouldn't have jumped me like that."

"Sorry." I replied, making sure my volume was low so I didn't disturb anyone below deck, "Didn't know what to say to get your attention."

"Fair enough." The captain nodded, "What're you doing out here?"

"Couldn't sleep." I whispered, "Why are you up here?"

"You don't have to whisper. Literally no one will hear you with this wind." She told me, before answering "I sent my crew to bed so I can get some alone time."

The look she gave me suggested Until you showed up.

"I'll leave you alone if you want." I said apologetically.

"Nah I don't really care." Uma turned away from me to stare at the ocean again, "Do whatever you want."

I stood awkwardly next to her. The smell of salt filled my lungs and the hot wind caressed my face. The ship swayed side to side under our boots.

Suddenly, Uma spoke up again. "What is it like out there?"

"In Auradon?"

Uma gave me another look, this time saying Is there anywhere else?

"We've got trees." I said, not knowing where to start, "Bushes with blueberries. Fields and auditorium- Jay's favorite. Nice houses- Evie owns her own. Fountains. Birds..." I stopped when I realized I was listing everything the Isle didn't have. I glimpsed over at Uma. "Are you mad that Auradon has so much more than the Isle does?"

Uma chuckled darkly. "All the dang time." She paused, then said "But it's not in my control, so I might as well make the best of what I have here. Learnt that the hard way."

I nodded.

"I'm surprised you guys keep willingly coming back."

"Honestly I feel like most of us would rather not."

"Is that why Jay and Carlos aren't with you?"

I swallowed hard at the sound of his name. "They don't know we're here." I tried to keep my voice steady and my answer vague.

Uma tilted her head to the side, smirking at me. "Okay. What's the other half of the story?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. She didn't back down.