Lupus Detegere (The Wolf Run) •Part 1•

I layed in the snow in the dead of winter. The snow fell a beautiful white slipping down to the ground in a protective layer of white purity.

Lying there my breath came out in short puffs of frozen condensation. My blood coated the snow in a crimson layer like thick syrup.

I watched as the wolves that attacked me circled like ravenous creatures. Their eyes gleamed in the dark while digging their claws into any bare flesh that was visible.

I wanted to cry out but my body was numb as if my life was slowly slipping away. The wolf that started it all sat under a tree another wolf sat right next to him seemingly smirking, enjoying the gruesome show as the other wolves kept attempting to kill me in an excruciatingly slow death. I couldn't mentally grasp why this would be happening to me.

The light of the moon was nearly the last thing I saw to give me hope as howls erupted from the distance. And with that growls, snarls, and groans were heard, but I was too tired to check and see what all the commotion was about.

The last thing I heard was a howl of pain as I was held in a warm embrace. I couldn't open my eyes at that moment as my consciousness left me.
•♡♡♡•

I'm Arē. My last name is of no importance.

The incident was years ago. I'm not as fragile as I was then. I still don't know what happened later that night. My savior never explained what I needed to know, cause they weren't there when I came to.

I now belong to a pack that humans would call "werewolves". I'm not allowed to go back, back to the life I had as a human. The pack that attacked me damaged me too much, my pack leaders had no choice but to put me through what they call "the change." I saw too much, got damaged too much, but to them killing a human "kid" was a waste. So here I am since I still have some use.

I'm now a shifter.
Nearly immortal like any other dark being of the night.
Interesting, I know.
Three years of pack dynamics.
Three years to finally get accepted by the Pack leaders and pack in general.
Three years of forgetting the past and giving up everything that was before.

I was fifteen then...I'm nearly eighteen now. My wolf will get twice as big as a regular wolf when I shift on my birthday, currently I'm nearly an adult. Being a shifter, my wolf will mature with me.

I refuse some traditions of my pack but others are different. As I have been turned I have been told that I probably will never have a mate. Since I wasn't born a shifter they consider it normal. Though if I'm not claimed they won't put me through anymore traditions. Seems like a win to me.

That doesn't keep the pack leaders from wanting to send me to lupus detegere (the wolf run) in other words. They have us shift the night of a new moon at 7:00 they let us out having us run ten minutes as a head start we're given miles to run, no rules but one.
As is tradition. If your mate is there they are to find you.

If you get caught, you're theirs, and you can't refuse them or they can forcibly mark you. Which as everyone has been told, the pain for nonconsensual marking has been known to be unbearable. Its known to be the worst pain a wolf can feel nothing close to the first shift. And believe me...shifting for the first time, hurts like a bitch.

The beta of our pack had told us, his mate was forcibly marked by his wolf. They can't speak to us since the first shifters in history, they just do, whenever their in control. No rational thought just pure instinct. That's why we can't let them take over as the animalistic side of us.

But enough about that. Tonight was the run and there was one thing on my mind. Run, don't stop, no hiding, and if it came down to it then fight.

I sat low to the ground behind a line. We were all lined up behind it shifted of course. The line consisted of twenty other she-wolves. This was going to be easy. I knew what I had to do, I loved nature therefore I knew the terrain.