09

narration

eunwoo's parents called them over for lunch. she couldn't tell them she haven't seen him for a month now. what if they ask her how he is doing?

"i can't go, haewon. jinae is still in the hospital. i need to stay beside her." he said over the line.

she placed her make up back into her bag and looked at herself on the mirror.

"then what should i tell them? or just tell them yourself that you can't go. that you are not free."

"it's not as easy as that, haewon. they won't listen to me. they will stop if you tell them to. they listen to you more than they do to me."

"i can't lie, eunwoo. what if they find out you haven't been going home?"

"you can't lie? we've been lying to them since we agreed to this, haewon. you can do it."

"why do you need to stay there so much? seungcheol can go and watch over her. why does it have to be you?"

and after she said that, she realized she shouldn't have said it. but she couldn't help it. it took a minute for eunwoo to speak again.

"haewon. should i tell you that again?"

she sighed heavily, trembling as if she ran a mile. she leaned against the wall and watched the girls entering the rest room.

"eunwoo, i know you agreed to this marriage just for your parents' sake. for all these years we've been together, you actually never changed. i know you treat me nicely even before this agreement. but i know you're nice to me because you are naturally nice, not because you have any special feelings for me. if you really don't like to get married with me then just say so."

haewon could not stop herself and her emotions seemed to have eaten her whole self, not being able to control those words coming out of her mouth.

"i've been waiting for you for a month. you've been with jinae for a month. i know you love her. and i know you don't love me. but why do you still insist that we should have this marriage?"

yes, that's confusing. eunwoo agreed to get married with haewon but begged haewon not to tell anybody about their engagement. indeed, he treats her nicely but he makes her feel she's just someone close to him most of the time.

"should we really talk about this through the phone?" eunwoo asked.

"if you think we should really talk this out, then come here now and let's talk before meeting with your parents. this is your chance, eunwoo. i'm not going to hold you back from anything you want to do. we don't meet anymore. in what way would you still like us to talk?"

chances. haewon has been giving him chances to break the engagement and tell his parents about it but he's the one who insists not to.

does he really want the wedding to push through?

"what now, eunwoo?"

"let me think, haewon."

"what is there to think about? this is already for your own freedom."

haewon picked up her bag and hung it on her shoulders.

"i'm going to your parents and i'll tell them you're not coming. i don't want them to wait for nothing."

"thank you, haewon."

"no need to thank me, eunwoo. i'm doing this for them, not for you." she said and ended the call before going back to the table where eunwoo's parents are waiting.

she smiled at them sweetly, so natural. they have been really kind to haewon. haewon's parents have taken care of eunwoo while his parents were away, treating him like their own child. as a sign of gratefulness, they wanted their child to marry haewon as they believe both kids grew up knowing each other well. and having the thought the two might have grown to like each other, which happened otherwise.

haewon chatted nicely to eunwoo's parents. they liked the lady so much. they wished they had a child like her.

"how's eunwoo in school? have he brought his friends to your house?" eunwoo's mother asked.

haewon shook her head.

"honey." eunwoo's father smiled, "sorry if you couldn't show him to your friends. i know he asked you keep it a secret from everyone but us."

again, she shook her head and smiled. "it's okay, papa. eunwoo's still studying and it might be a nuisance if his classmates knew he was already engaged."

"that's why we like you, haewon. you have a great patience for eunwoo. you always try to understand him at all situations." eunwoo's mother took her hand and kept it between her hands. "tell us if eunwoo makes anything difficult for you, my dear. we'll scold him. aside from you being his fiancee, you are two years older than him. he should show you some respect."

haewon smiled bitterly. they are so nice. only if eunwoo sincerely loves her then it would really be a happy life for the two of them.

"mom, what if eunwoo don't want to continue with this? what if he don't really want to marry me?" she asked.

"what made you think like that?" eunwoo's mom held her hand tighter and kept it between her warm hands.

"you know. eunwoo never really told me how he felt for me."

"he stayed for so long with you. even after his break up with his first and past girlfriend, i don't know any other girl close to him aside from you."

"honey, we want to tell you something." eunwoo's mom smiled genuinely before speaking again, "when we told him about your engagement, he looked really happy. he genuinely looked happy."

"eunwoo is a kid who don't know how to properly show his affection, even to us. we know that. but i'm sure time will come, you'll just be surprised on his actions." eunwoo's father assured.

"but how about you dear. we know you rejected this agreement at first but i'm really happy seeing how you are keeping up with this." eunwoo's mom caressed the back of haewon's hand and asked, "do you really like our son?"

"do they seriously need to ask this?" haewon thought to himself. "is it necessary to answer this?"

"honey, is it not enough to answer this seeing how much she does for eunwoo?" eunwoo's father asked making his wife smile wider.

"she's a sweet girl, naturally a sweet one. i just want to make sure because i don't want her to feel like we tied her up with someone like our son."

"oh no, please don't worry. i..." she sighed and smiled, "i know i love him. i know i love eunwoo since day 1, but i'm sorry if it might change anytime."

*****

wow! this one is really long 😲
anyway, how is this going so far

thanks for the votes and reads❤️

- lovingseoul~